Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

s50 and s52 camshaft bearing cap the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s50 and s52 camshaft bearing cap the same?

Hello I've been looking around to find any info on s50 cylinder head. I need to know if anybody here knows if the U.S s50 camshaft bearing cap are the same part number as a U.S s52 m3 or are they different.

No I dont have a part nuber to look up. My problem.. I was told they were s50 specific by a local around. Just like to verify from you guys. Any help is appreciated.

It's not good practice to swap them around. You should keep the trays (carriers) with the caps, just like a block since they are machined as a unit.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

how did you lose a bearing cap?

They shouldn't even be stored anywhere except bolted to the head. Remove, keep in order, remove cam, and bolt the caps back on in the same position/direction they were removed.

You take a risk even by installing another one off of another s50... So if you do, take it to a machine shop to have it checked out before running it.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Thanks, Iam doing a swap for someone with bare built engine it is composed of a s50 head m52 block and s52 crank all I have to do is swap over the parts from his blown s52 to the bare engine. Problem theirs a missing cam shaft bearing. Just wanted to know if it was ok to swap it to the bare motor.

Comment

Is there a reason you don't swap over the whole cam carrier?

Both "should" have the 33mm lifters, just keep the same lifter on the same cam lobe and all will be well.

I'm sure someone will say it's OK to swap them around, but it's not a good idea (reasons given above). There IS a reason the cam bearing caps are numbered.....just like main caps. If they are swapped around, they should be align honed.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Is there a reason you don't swap over the whole cam carrier?

Both "should" have the 33mm lifters, just keep the same lifter on the same cam lobe and all will be well.

I'm sure someone will say it's OK to swap them around, but it's not a good idea (reasons given above). There IS a reason the cam bearing caps are numbered.....just like main caps. If they are swapped around, they should be align honed.
            I haven't tryed. I still havent pulled out his engine. But I was told that the trays were different thats why I wondered perhaps the caps aren't.

Comment

The trays changed through the years and from m50 to s50, but they all bolt to the head just fine since the m50 and s50 have the same head casting. There are 33 and 35mm lifters, as long as you don't try and use the 33mm lifters in a 35mm tray or vice-versa, there won't be an issue.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Very good brother thankyou for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X