Almost pulled a DanGillan today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost pulled a DanGillan today

I was coming back from Portland in my '99 Volvo V70, when all of a sudden, the front end of the car starts to make a ton of noise and shake, the steering wheel was jumping around like crazy. So I start assuming the worst, thinking a wheel bearing failed, there's something wrong with the AWD, who knows. So I pull over at a gas station, the only one nearby. Oh, did I mention I was on top of the mountain pass near Mt. Hood? Yeah... nothing there. No cell reception, either.

So, thinking maybe I threw a wheel weight or something, I pull the plastic hub cover off, and 4 of the 5 lug bolts have backed themselves about halfway out, one of them almost all the way. Yes. My driver's side front wheel was being held on at 70 mph by ONE FUCKING LUG BOLT.

So after I pissed myself, I dug out all the tire changing shit, collected my breath and tightened them back down, and went home.

Yea I found I have to drive a couple miles and retorque after I put my wheel pack on.
    Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Originally posted by b*saint View Post
      Yea I found I have to drive a couple miles and retorque after I put my wheel pack on.
      If there's paint on the bolt seat, get rid of it. You shouldn't have to retorque like that.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

crap dude. glad your ok. was the family in the car as well?

Comment

been there done that. other than the fact mine had backed out enough break off 2 studs and only one lug nut was semi tight.

Yeah its scary, I can attribute mine to fucking discount tire, I was on my way home from there.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
            If there's paint on the bolt seat, get rid of it. You shouldn't have to retorque like that.
            I dont know man. The wheels have 225k miles on them. There is hardly any paint left around the lugs. I never have quirky little stupid issues like that on the Honda.
            Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Ah discount tire, discount prices at a discount service.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

I've had this happen twice, and one time the wheel actually fell off and rolled into a field while I was driving.
                Originally posted by LJ851
                I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by YAN-3 View Post
                  crap dude. glad your ok. was the family in the car as well?
                  Nope, it was just me. Pretty scary tho, my heart was in my throat when I realized what it was.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPotter View Post
                    Ah discount tire, discount prices at a discount service.
                    yup I dont go there, I put the wheels in the truck and take them in for tires if I need to, and not the chain places anymore. and I have all the shit I need to mount my own tires, and a old Pin balancer for changing my truck tires.
                    Originally posted by Fusion
                    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                    William Pitt-

Comment

We have America's Tire and Les Schwab here, and I will always, ALWAYS go to Discount/America's before Les Schwab. Those guys are a bunch of fucking slop artists.

The only thing I have tire shops do is mount my tires on the rims for me. I can handle everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                        We have America's Tire and Les Schwab here, and I will always, ALWAYS go to Discount/America's before Les Schwab. Those guys are a bunch of fucking slop artists.

The only thing I have tire shops do is mount my tires on the rims for me. I can handle everything else.
                        So that means you were the last one to mount that wheel?

Get thee to HF and buy a torque wrench.
                        Current Cars
                        2014 M235i
                        2009 R56 Cooper S
                        1998 M3
                        1997 M3

Comment

Wow close call bro!! Glad you caught that before that last bolt backed itself out.
                          IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                            So that means you were the last one to mount that wheel?

Get thee to HF and buy a torque wrench.
                            I was. I impacted it down with a second pass just like all the other wheels, and I checked them all, and they were all still tight.

Comment

this sort of happened to me. I was driving on the 55 and I heard this loud screeching coming from my front right wheel. I pulled over and found that my cheap 5mm spacers were loose due to improper lug tightening. The spacer was scraping against my caliper and made so much heat energy that I burnt my hand when I grabbed the wheel. Luckily no damage was done.
                              anyways glad to hear nothing worse happened to you. I have learned my lesson, and I now use a little extra force when I tighten my lugs.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
                              You are lucky your Dad didn't pull out and leave you on the passenger side seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X