Best Clutch for E30s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Clutch for E30s?

About to purchase a clutch replacement kit for my E30 and I wanted to get some experience opinions on the best bang for the $ when it comes to what clutches are out there for our cars.

I have a Sachs sport clutch in my car which I'm very pleased with. Most say it's over kill but I got such a good deal on it I couldn't pass it up.

M

Comment

What's the difference between the Sachs Sport Clutch and the regular Sachs Clutch kit?

Comment

Probably just friction material with a slightly higher temp range and a stiffer pressure plate.

Comment

Where is the best place to find the Sachs sport clutch?

Comment

The Sachs Sport is very expensive, and has a light weight aluminum core with a higher clamping force.

Standard 325 clutchs last forever, and should be fine. If you're really worried about it you can use an M3 pressure plate which has a little more clamping force.
            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

hmm, this seems like a technical question, maybe it belongs in the TECHNICAL FORUM
              BEERTECH

Comment

Where is the best place online to purchase a clutch?

Comment

BMW parts, BMW performance / race parts and online OEM BMW parts catalog.

Comment

Just for the record, the stock clutch BMW put in the 6 cylinder E30s is robust for the cars' output potential. I've talked to veteran BMW mechanics and they feel the stock clutch is good for approx. 220 horsepower. If your motor is stock or even a 2.7/2.8L stroker, an OEM clutch should work just fine for your needs. If anything, spend the money towards a lighter flywheel. You could probably have your stock flywheel machined down a few pounds for under a $100. I have used a Metric Mechanic flywheel (stock unit shaved to ~13lbs.) and it will set you back $250.

Here's a new clutch laundry list:
                    clutch
                    pressure plate
                    throwout bearing
                    rear engine main seal
                    flush tranny fluid
                    Guibo (flex disk)

Options:
                    lightend flywheel
                    short shift kit

Sounds like a lot, but my logic is: if you have it all apart, why not address other things while you are at it (unless you like dropping the gearbox every weekend).

Jon
                    Rides...
                    1991 325i - sold :(
                    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

I have the following set-up, and I like it:
                      Sachs HD clutch disk
                      SPEC stage 1 pressure plate (slightly stiffer than stock)
                      OEM throw out bearing and seals
                      Redline fluid

Comment

Working...
                      X