Which diff do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which diff do I have?

I dont know which diff I have, I know that all of my burnouts have been with both wheels and the pics I have seen of LSD's have had miniture fins on the diff cover. Mine has the smallish fins on it, but I dont want to take off the cover to find out but I know it needs the fluid changed. Is there anyway to tell diff from diff?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Look at the tag on the diff. You will have to clean it first, but if it is LSD it should start with "S" then the ratio. For example, mine says S 3.73 then some other numbers. If it does not have the "S" , then it is open.

Also, lift up the rear end and spin one wheel. If the other wheel spins the same direction, it is a LSD. If the other wheel spins the opposite direction, it is open.

Comment

thanks for that info, I hadnt seen anything on here about that before. I will check out pretty soon. thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

funny...my 325i peels the outside wheel around hard corners when accelerating, but when i put it up on the stands and spun one wheel, the other didn't move in the opposite direction.
        - 2000 Audi S4 Stg 2 (sold)
        - house (bought)
        - 1997 Civic Hatch (shaky but driveable)
        - 2010 Sportster 1200 Forty Eight Ed. (vroom)
        - 1991 318is S50B30 (TBA)

Comment

Originally posted by clutterbucker
          funny...my 325i peels the outside wheel around hard corners when accelerating, but when i put it up on the stands and spun one wheel, the other didn't move in the opposite direction.
          Did it move at all? It should move in the same direction if you have an LSD.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Just because you can leaves 2 skidmarks, whether drifting or with a burnout, does not mean you have an LSD. There are several variables that would cause both wheels to spin.

Comment

sorry, when I said it peels the outside wheel, I meant it peels the inside wheel only, like an open diff would. But when I spin the wheel, it doesn't move in the opposite direction.

Just thought it was wierd.
              - 2000 Audi S4 Stg 2 (sold)
              - house (bought)
              - 1997 Civic Hatch (shaky but driveable)
              - 2010 Sportster 1200 Forty Eight Ed. (vroom)
              - 1991 318is S50B30 (TBA)

Comment

Well an open diff will either spin in the opposite direction, or not spin at all.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                X