RIP, my transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP, my transmission

It finally happened. After 205K miles my auto tranny is dead, i think. It slip sooooo bad, it's undriveable. any acceleration is almost impossible, and going uphill is out of the question. I am going to have a flush done, but i'm not optimistic. If i can't get a good deal on replacing/repairing it, i will probably have to let the car go.

Darin
    '88 325iS

Check the fluid level first, before assuming anything.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Level is perfect, but the fluid does have a rather pungent smell to it. almost a burnt smell, but the color is normal.

Comment

why let the car go dude? Just swap in a 5spd and your good to go.

Comment

look in here 8)

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

I have always wanted a 5-spd, but i decided to put it off until now. It would be impossible to sell a car with 205K motor, dead tranny and reconstruct title for anything more than $500, so selling it seems kind of dumb. If i'm going to do a 5-spd swap though, i might as well put in a new motor too. btw to anyone who know more about auto trannys than i do and would like to help me diagnose the problem: Reverse, nuetral and park work perfectly and everything shifts well, but all the forward gears slip. go figure. There is an excellent shop in town that specializes in E30's and the more i think about it, the more i want them to track down a low-miles motor and tranny. Besides, they'll let me come in and watch and help install it :)

Comment

forward gears have their own clutches. if your reverse works fine then one or more of your clutches are shot. maybe repairable but a 5 speed would probably be cheaper when you count labor..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had the EXACT symptoms when my automatic took a shit. Solution: 5-spd swap. Never been happier. Just stick a 5-spd behind your current motor, drive it out, and when the motor goes either rebuild it or stick in a 24v motor. Thats my plan for now.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

my best guess was the clutch packs, the burnt smell of the tranny fluid gave me some indication. I've always wanted to turbo the car, and now seems like it may be a good time if i go to the 5 spd. I am a bit nervous though about putting 5-7 psi of boost into cylinders with 205K old rings and valve guide seals. perhaps a low miles motor would be a good thing to do at the same time. to be honest, i thought it would be kind of unique to have the only automatic turbo E30 :)

Darin

Comment

It might have been unique but the auto tranny would never really let the turbo spool up enough unless you were slap shifting that slushbox at higher revs.

Just break down and put a 5 spd in... it will put hair on your chest.. build character.. you know?

Comment

I have

1. A Suburban with a hitch
                      2. Access to a car trailer
                      3. A teenage daughter who needs a car
                      4. Five Hunnert Bux!

I am in Springfield. This offer may or may not include a few hundred dollars worth of stereo crap for your next car. Send me some pics, think about it, whatever. I am looking for a car with a nice condition body, but care less about miles.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Well i made the call today to Autohaus Bayern in Beaverton to get a 5-speed on the way. I'll be having it installed next week. I think i will hold off on the turbo for a month or two until i get accustomed to the new gearbox. Besides, i may find that i get enough of a power boost out of the 5-speed to quench my power appetite for a while. Oh yeah, they also just got a new dyno, so i'll make sure i do a run after it's all finished :D

Darin

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW
                          Well i made the call today to Autohaus Bayern in Beaverton to get a 5-speed on the way. I'll be having it installed next week. I think i will hold off on the turbo for a month or two until i get accustomed to the new gearbox. Besides, i may find that i get enough of a power boost out of the 5-speed to quench my power appetite for a while. Oh yeah, they also just got a new dyno, so i'll make sure i do a run after it's all finished :D

Darin
                          I've never really heard anything good about that shop... have you? Whenever I take my car anywhere, it's to German Auto Repair on Barber.
                          Originally posted by Gruelius
                          and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

they are awesome. I've done alot of work with them, and they're extremely helpful and very knowledgeble. Their head tech is a true E30 expert, having owned many himself and in his family.

Comment

Do not bring your car to them. Thier mickymouse bulshit ended up costing over $350.

Brandon is a good guy, but the rest can die.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X