front sway bar with non-m3 drop links?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front sway bar with non-m3 drop links?

Hi all, so I'm planning on getting sway bars for my e30. Going to run h&r races with billie sports. Seems like 22/19 is the ticket, but after looking into the benefits and drawbacks of m3 front links I have a question or two. Are people running the 22mm front bar and m3 links experiencing understeer? I read on the s14 forums a 19mm front bar with m3 links is approximately as stiff as a 24mm bar with the control arm mounted links. In theory then a 22mm bar would be overkill with m3 links.

I would like to keep the traditional control arm mounted links (no wheel jacking on tight corners due to less sway travel) and try a 25mm bar up front, as that seems to be the middle ground (between 22mm with m3 links which should be too stiff causing understeer, and 22mm with regular links which seems hardly noticeable at 2mm over stock).

Is anyone out there running 25/19 with control arm mounted links that can chime in?
    Jah bless! :pimp:

Can anyone measure the inner diameter of the hollow 25mm IE bar for me? I'm doing some equations for how much stiffer it would be than a 22mm bar and bar geometry aside, it seems relatively stiffer. Going off of pictures I'm guessing the inner diameter of the bar is 13mm. Based on that, 25^4 - 13^4 is 1.5456( 22^4). This means the IE hollow 25mm bar is 154.56% the stiffness of a 22mm bar. For shits and giggles the inner diameter of the IE hollow bar would have to be 19.875mm to equal the stiffness of the 22mm bar. For more shits and giggles the Addco 1" aka 25.4mm bar is, all other things equal, 177.68% as stiff as a 22mm bar. Compared to my guesstimated 13mm ID 25mm OD on the Ireland bar, the Addco bar is 114.96% as stiff. Marginally stiffer, and way heavier than the IE hollow bar FTL, and I don't think it is adjustable either. Would also be horrible with the 19mm rear bar I wish to run, understeer city.

I'm thinking right now that the 25mm hollow IE bar on the softest setting, and the 19mm rear IE bar on the stiffest setting might be the ticket. Unless somebody can convince me otherwise Im getting that combo.

Comment

Somebody online measured the OD of the 25mm bar with a digital caliper at 26.00mm. By my guesstimations whatever the caliper says for ID, add a millimeter to know approximately the ID without the paint.

Comment

Well .... I could help if you wish. For the sake of your equations the od without PC is 25.4mm (give or take .2mm). If you want the ID you're welcome to shoot me a pm.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Skifree holla at a player. I'm waiting on a response still. Anyone with the 25mm hollow bar care to chime in with an inner diameter measurement?

Comment

Seriously I need to figure out which one to get with my tax return money lol.

Comment

Good stuff. Getting into next level analysis.
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

500lbs/750lbs
                iX Bilstein front/Bilstein Sport rear
                22mm sway front/stock rear
                M3 drop links
                215/45/16 615k's
                -3 front / -2.5 rear
                0 toe front / 0 toe rear

Car is near neutral towards tail happy. Under-steer only comes at my own fault in driving or worn front tires.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Getting a 22mm bar. Juiced!

Comment

Working...
                  X