Help - Idiot put his battery in backwards! :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Idiot put his battery in backwards! :-(

So... I bought a 325i a few weeks ago. Decided to get a new battery because the PO was using an improper size. Both terminals use black wires... And I hooked it up backwards . I didn't realize my mistake until after I had tried starting the car. Went back and swapped the terminals around. The car starts but now battery light and antilock brake light is on (even when the car is off) There is a burning smell coming from the alternator. I am guessing that is toast. Windows work, lights work, no radio though. I am hoping it is just the alternator and radio... Anything else I should look for???

A lottery ticket

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

:rofl

Comment

Make sure you inspect the larger cable that goes from the alternator to the starter - it very well could have melted. If so, BavRest sells a kit that replaces it and a few others.

Comment

I got lucky! Swapped out alternator and abs relay and haven't had any other issues. No lottery ticket though...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Comment

How do you mix up terminals? Look at the wires one mounts to your 1/4 panel the other one actually runs to front of car. Or always put the wire on the left on the positive terminal.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Yes, the abs relay should be all you need for that part at least... I had a body shop do that to me one time and went through that.

Comment

Working...
              X