e30 getrag 260 tips and tricks to swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 getrag 260 tips and tricks to swap

This is the best guide: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108141
    realoem.com to cross parts
    Its still a little vague on some details but it covers the jest. He over complicates his wiring set up so don’t be intimidated about that part. Just take the same color wires and splice them together then tape of the brown wire. And we didn’t disconnect c143 whatever that shit was.
    1.) Get your parts- hard parts
    a. Transmission (xx/84-06/86) uses a single mass flywheel so you can get it resurface which in turn avoids the buying of a new flywheel.
    i. Bavauto.com has the best price on a clutch disc and pressure plate kit and any other little thing that should be replace while down there, but the kit doesn’t include bolts and nuts for the flywheel (8 bolts smaller bolt if your using single mass) or drive shaft (6 nuts m10). The guibo flex disc is the only other thing that needs to be replaced that attaches to the transmission itself. And there are two different size 110mm and 78mm manuals use the 78mm disc. And you can reuse the bolts that go to those.
    b. The driveshaft from a manual car [ do not be alarmed if its to short to reach the differential, get a pipe wrench/monkey wrench and turn the nut[collar] on the drive shaft and pull the drive shaft out until it meets the differential just put in * bolt it to the driveshaft, put the [csb] bolts in and make sure its flush.
    c. Shifter tower from downer car
    d. You can grab the break reservoir or cutting the nipple works
    e. Tranny mount frame should def be grabbed (that’s it for hard parts) having extra tranny bolts
    2.) Replacement parts and the best websites to get them
    a. Pelicanparts.com.com { gubio flex disc, slave & master clutch cylinder [mcc], slave cylinder hose, the nipple to MCC that connects fluid reservoir via blue hose to mcc, if yours is messed up like mines the centering sleeve bearing on the inside of the drive shaft, transmission mounts}
    b. bavauto.com {nuts &bolts clutch kit}
    c. iemotorsports.com {short shifter kit}
    d. CARQUEST for the {Center support bearing and flywheel resurfacing}
    3.) The Vagueness covered in the swap toughest part little tricks and tools to get.
    a. Tools ( most bought at harbor freight, lowes, northern tool)
    i. Inverted torx bits sockets [HF],
    ii. swelving impact sockets [not the u joint bullshit] [HF],
    iii. very long extensions ½ preff. It makes getting to and getting tranny bolts out easier but the 3/8 works too but tends to bend and flex on the tranny bolts, you’ll also need it for getting the start bolts out [ Lowes]
    iv. racthing wreches Oh the time they saved [great for removing down pipe] [HF, Advacne auto]
    v. pb blaster !!!!!!! just soak everything the cars 20yrs +
    vi. ½ to 3/8 adapter or vice versa
    4.) Three biggest removals
    a. removing downpipes
    i. spary the bolts and nuts a week before you start, warm the car up, spray them again. Use the ratching wreches to get the nuts started and then use the the swivel impact sockets [ I wish I had them when I started] good luck getting them off if you get this off honestly nothing can really stop you since this doesn’t have any space or real angle to get to them. Worse come to worse use a heat torch to warm them up and if that doesn’t get it get a saw and take to it.
    b. removing the starter
    i. removing the starter isn’t as bad as long as you can get your hands into the tight fits. I don’t remember the socket size, but use an avg length + some other size extension to get to the nuts on the starter from the front, *your going to need a friend * and use the long ass ½ or 3/8 extension to hold the bolts or nuts from the back or if you can get your hand up their to hold them a bit
    ii. mark where the sensors come out of and which plugs come out where on the starter, the Bentley states the color gray and blue, and them tranny is marked for which sensors go where by a [b] and a [d] on the case. One of those letters may be a [G] but you will see it on the case. But if you happen to forget where they came from its in the Bentley.
    c. removing the tranny
    i. use the long ½ extension and have the friend put you on the bolts then turn
    ii. rip all of that black sound deading shit off.so you can see things.
    iii. Don’t for get the starter aligment plate bolt on the the pass side
    iv. Have some towels your going to get tranny fluid on you have a wrench to get transmission lines off I think its like a 15/16 or 7/8 its fairly large
    v. If you don’t have a tranny jack or two jacks it’s a little rough to get the tranny down oh yeah take of the damn collar that hold the dipstick to the transmission cut it or take the nut your choice, but get that shit out it get hung up when trying to pull the tranny out.
    vi. Getting the tourqe converter off have the friend hold the crank while you get the the bolts off, and you may or may not need pry bars advance auto has them so does [hf]
    vii. Trannys free to come out, install is simpler
    viii. You going to need an impact gun and a 19mm or ¾ socket for flywheel bolts
    d. Once the trannys on the input shaft its all down hill, if you need to get the center sleeve bearing out your going to need a pilot bearing puller once again the wiring is pretty simple greens to green, blue to blue and brown gets tapped off
    i. Hope this helps Jonathan Wiles

07 11 9 901 023 PRESSURE PLATE BOLT - 6MM - SOLD INDIVIDUALLY - 6 REQUIRED - GENUINE BMW $0.95 6 $5.70

07 12 9 964 672 NUT - 10 MM - GENUINE BMW $0.95 6 $5.70

11 22 1 717 840 FLYWHEEL BOLT - 28MM LONG - GENUINE BMW $2.95 8 $23.60

314 152 0001 FLEX DISC GUIBO - 6 HOLE - DIAMETER = 110MM - FLAT SIDES - MEYLE $41.95 1 $41.95

32 33 1 155 957 STEERING WHEEL EMBLEM - M STRIPES FOR MOTORSPORT STEERING WHEEL - GENUINE BMW $5.95 1 $5.95

34 11 1 123 072 BRAKE ROTOR AND DRUM HOLD DOWN BOLT - GENUINE BMW $0.95 8 $7.60

CK 325E 4/86 BAVARIAN AUTOSPORT CLUTCH KIT $299.95 1 $299.95

21-52-1-116-300-M695 Clutch Slave Cylinder, 318i (1984-85), 318i/is/iC (1991), 325/e/es/i/is/iC/iX (1984-91), M3 (1987-91)
    Brand: Metelli
    1 $15.00 $15.00
    21-52-1-156-000-M36 Clutch Master Cylinder, 318i (1984-85), 318i/is/iC (1991), 325/e/es/i/is/iC/iX (1984-91), M3 (1987-91) -
    Brand: Febi
    1 $46.25 $46.25 Hose, Clutch Slave Cylinder To Master Cylinder, 318i (1984-85), 318i/is/iC (1991), 325/e/es/i/is/iC/iX (1984-91), M3 (1987-91)
    1 $27.75 $27.75
    23-71-1-175-939-M61 Transmission Mount, Manual (2 2 $6.75 $13.50
    26-11-7-526-611-M104 Guide Bushing for Drive Shaft (Centering Sleeve),
    1 $8.75 $8.75
    hell idk sometimes you just have to wing it. JW

send me a pm and email adress for the word document its 100% more orginized
    hell idk sometimes you just have to wing it. JW

Comment

I'm doing a manual swap soon and I was looking for DIYs, found this and e30tech is down, so I found that thread on the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20151017...d.php?t=108141

I also saved an offline PDF copy of just the DIY just in case: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...0N4eGZQWUxPNWs

Comment

Wayback Machine Internet Archive... Brilliant cozzak! Why didn't I think of that? Thanks man!!!

Comment

Working...
        X