Lets talk radiators. Behr VS Nissens VS Mishimoto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk radiators. Behr VS Nissens VS Mishimoto

I'm currently in the market for a rad to supply a cooling foundation for my m30 swap.

I immediately thought about going Mishimoto due to the descent reviews some members have had with them.
    Unfortunately it seems Mishimoto revamped their design on the E36M3 rad making it difficult to work with fitment wise on the e30 (See JGood's review on Product review also)

So, unless I find an EARLY model Mishimoto rad- would you recommend nissens over Behr, Behr over Nissens?

I believe that BMW uses Behr straight from the factory.

thoughts?
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

I have been happy with CX-Racing rad.

CXRacing Aluminum Radiator For. 82-94 BMW E30 with Manual Transmission. Aluminum Radiator x1. Especially Designed, Made for the Application Stated. Core Size: 21.5"x17.25"x1.5". Overall Size: 27"x19.5"x1.5".

Comment

JGood was using a Z3M radiator I thought? The thicker one, not the normal e36 one.

That being said, I put an e36 mishimoto in my e34 and it lasted about a year before it started to leak. Got a replacement one for $35 though (shipping), no questions asked.

Comment

Behr is the best. Mishimoto is shit, all but one person i know has had theirs go, the only guy who hasnt has had in 3-4 weeks.
        Nissens is the middle ground.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

We only use BEHR radiators in our shop repairing cars and our personal cars as well.Nissen is a second choice.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

My buddy Glenn (glnr13 I think) just installed a new radiator in his M30 swapped car. Cant remember which way he went, but he had a Nissen and then switched to a Behr and gained some more clearance, or maybe it was the other way... Id hit him up
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Havent had problems with my mishimotos but only time will tell

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I've never had a Behr fail, leak from the coolant tank (M42) after years of service, sure.

Comment

Mishimoto's are cheap, we've had a lot of problems with pinholes/sub-par welds on racecars. I'm sure they are ok on a street car, but I've always gone with Behr.
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

My old behr broke right at the upper nipple, seems like (from what I read) after about 100k the plastic gets brittle and fails. I don't know if this was the original, (which would make it about 250k) but I replaced it with another behr and trust if for at least 100k.

Comment

We use Nissens after a rash of bad Behrs.

They're all alright, IMO, never had an issue with either.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

The thing is depending where the leak comes from on a mishimoto you can TIG it and close the leak. although Id rather not have to do that at all

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Have used both Behr and Nissens - both are fine, neither seems much different as far as cooling capacity goes.

I did seem to have more clearance on my M30 swap with the Nissens in there, but have a Behr at the moment.

If you have a look at the first post of my members rides thread, the first engine bay shot has an e28 Nissens, the second the e28 Behr.
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

found his post...

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                            replaced radiator. distributor was rubbing and created a pinhole leak.

previous nissens radiator was 2mm clearance from radiator to distributor on a good day.
                            new behr radiator has 4mm clearance from radiator to distributor. the core itself is not thinner, it's the folds where the aluminum meets the plastic that is lower profile on the behr. anyone doing m30 swaps and using e28 535i radiator should use the behr IMO.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

2man thanks for the link!

Thanks for the feedback all...
                              Originally posted by flyboyx
                              i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Working...
                              X