Tails revisited - lighting ALL red lens areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tails revisited - lighting ALL red lens areas

I recently completed a singular upgrade for an E30 (early lights) for a guy who wanted as much as possible to light up when the tails and brakes were on.

The normal upgrade (Plus Four) adds one tail and one brake, lighting more of the lens, and works well without a relay to take the load of the two extra filaments and this seems to keep the check panel happy.

The Full Monty adds TWO more tails and ONE more brake (each side), and has a dual relay pack to keep things safe and the bulb checks normal. Everything except the reverse and turn are lighted with tail lights, and two outer red sectors light with brakes - both stock and (unused) rear fog sectors. All high output bulbs, naturally. The results are pretty startling... and highly visible. I will probably call it the 'Plus Six' upgrade.

Review and Pictures coming, so keep your drawers secured about your waist...

Next project, E30 late style lights. There's a weirdity going on in the rear fog/reverse lights part of the bulb carrier, will do some thinking on that to be sure it works right.
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

I've thought of a thing where we paint the turns red and then have all the sections of the light (except reverse lights of course) all act together as brake, turn, and taillights?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Sub'd for pics
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Picture, man, get them pictures.
        ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

no updates ??
          FS: Plug n Play Second Trunk Light !
          My Parts for Sale Thread~

x 1984 325e 2.7i ~ CastroMotorsport Built x Daily Driven

Comment

I have contacted the customer again, hopefully we will get something up soon.

Another new product he also has asked for, and which I made: amber turn signal bulbs - High Output of course - for clear front lenses. I can do this for single or dual filament lamps, for different applications.

I take an HO lamp I use in the rear, then apply an amber coating to them for a distinctive appearance. This can be done with rear turns as well, if you believe (as I do) that amber turns stand out more than red and are easier to recognize as a turn signal.

The amber gel coat is intended for tinting the lamps used in theater lighting, so it will take the heat, no problem.
            Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.

Comment

OK, here are the pictures

Hope these load, I shrank them 50%.

Pictures are titled by what is lighting.

Hope this helps show the potential for E30 rear lights. Both the tail and brake circuits power the extra lights using a relay to save the stock wiring, switches and fuses from the extra load.

Who's next?
              Attached Files

Comment

that looks pretty good! Any way to make the light in the middle section (the reflective one) dual filament and light up with the other brake lights?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                  that looks pretty good! Any way to make the light in the middle section (the reflective one) dual filament and light up with the other brake lights?
                  Well, yes and no.

YES, because the center socket can be adapted to take dual filament lamps, it is possible electrically in the same way the brake and rear fog sockets are adapted to do this; however ...

NO, there are two problems with this substitution: HEAT, and FOCUS

The brake + tail lamp is significantly brighter and hotter than the tail lamp during operation, and as many of us know, hotter means risk of melting the lens. Also, being taller than the tail lamp, it is closer to the lens, meaning it will melt that lens more quickly and effectively, and destroy it.

Also, the dual filament's 'LCL' (light center length) is way longer than the tail lamp, meaning the lens will not be effective or look right, since it requires the filament to be a specific distance back from the lens, in the exact focus of the 'Fresnel' lens (the flat clear part with concentric rings).

So, other than not being effective, and melting (possibly destroying) the lens, it would be fine ... but I will never do it or recommend it.

Thanks for asking, I am certain this same question has occurred to others. Yes, the lamp base 'fits into' the tail light sockets, but it DOES NOT provide an advantage with the two adjacent lights working well as tail + brake, and DOES pose a risk of destroying the lights, should you get stuck in traffic and have to sit on the brakes.

"Keep those cards and letters coming!"

Comment

Working...
                  X