charcoal canister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charcoal canister

My charcoal canister outlet pipes (the hard ones that the vacuum hose connects to) broke off, I tried to JB weld it back, but has since broken again.

Is there anything wrong with getting rid of it? What did you do to the hose that goes into the throttle body, just cap it? What about the line from the gas tank? same thing, just cap it?

really not in the mood to spend $200+ for a replacement.
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

You can cap the line to the throttle body but not the one to the tank. It acts as a breather for the fuel tank and the tank will develop a vacuum if you cap it.

Comment

You could get a used one from the junkyard.

If you do get rid of it, put a small filter on the line from the tank. This will allow it to breath without letting dirt in.

Comment

If you vent it to atmosphere with a filter, and be sure to keep the position of that filter well clear of potential contaminants. You should also be aware that you can get occasional fuel smell this way and that you need to keep the purge valve plugged in to avoid a CEL.

Second, hook the vent line to the purge valve and hook the other end to the throttle body connection, effectively bypassing the canister at zero cost (maybe a few zip ties).

***Be aware that as fuel exits the tank air must get back in, so in theory, a perfectly sealed fuel tank could potentially collapse under vacuum or cause other fuel system issues. I think the stock system deals with this by not actually directly connect the tank vent to the engine/purge valve, but rather have that vent to a filter, and have the purge valve also connect to that filter canister.
        Last edited by roguetoaster; 02-27-2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I second toaster's recommendation to find a used replacement. It serves a purpose. Also, I am not sure what the emissions test regulations are in your area, but if they are anything like here, then the inspection checks for evap system functionality and they will look for the charcoal can / purge system.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
          X