Ground cable part #?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground cable part #?

Update: Looks like the correct part # is 12511714039.

Perhaps this isn't specific to the M42. I need the part # for the ground cable that's on the passenger side of the engine. It connects to the frame rail to the engine mount.

I've gone through the parts diagrams on realoem, but could only find a diagram with random cables. I've google-searched and the best I've come up with is this part:

Is that the correct cable?

Update:

I stole a photo from PJH's thread. The ground cable in question is below the exhaust:

Update: Looks like the correct part # is 12511714039.
    Last edited by mike.bmw; 04-14-2017, 03:29 AM.

Hard to say if that has lugs of a correct size, but it's clearly too long (not that it would cause any issues). I'd say to order non OE cables from bavrest.com, but it looks like they also think that the engine ground goes to the oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Hard to say if that has lugs of a correct size, but it's clearly too long (not that it would cause any issues). I'd say to order non OE cables from bavrest.com, but it looks like they also think that the engine ground goes to the oil pan.
      Yeah, I've seen a few references of a ground that goes to the oil pan. I've never seen a ground connected to either the upper or lower pan on my car.

Comment

hit up bavrest. Greg should be able to help you

Comment

If I remember when I'm home, I have a fresh one in the garage.

Comment

treat yaself

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Thanks all!

The other grounds appear to be in good condition. I read that the alternator to starter ground can be replaced, but it appears that it routes through the rectangular plastic box under the intake manifold. Here's a photo of the box I'm taking about when I did the mess under the intake last year:

Is that correct? Does it route through that box? If that's true I'll likely just leave it as-is because it that ground appears to be in good condition. In fact, it looks brand new as the sheathing is still clean and pliable. The engine mount to frame rail ground is in horrid condition so I definitely want to replace that.

Comment

That is correct, it routes through the cable box. There's a T in there which sends one side out to the starter, and keeps the other side going to the firewall if that makes any sense. You'll see if you pop off the cable box cover. I left mine alone as well since I wasn't sure how to modify greg's kit to make it work for the Alternator side.

Comment

I stole a photo from PJH's thread. The ground cable in question is below the exhaust:

Comment

I did some more searching and found the correct part # is 12511714039. I updated the first post.

One thing that's odd is the "new" version doesn't come with an insulator around the wire. Is that normal?

See here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/12511714039/

Comment

I got an oe one from bavauto. Looks like the picture above

Comment

Mike.. Just go to your local West Marine store, and make your own for a couple of dollars.. They all have a bench on site with everything you need to make whatever you need. I always go this route when making ground cables. Paying someone $20-$30 for a ground cable is crazy

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                        '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                        '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Working...
                        X