Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't all our wheels falling off/all hubs or discs warping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess people missed all the "vintage racing" stuff in your avatar and signature...
    AWD > RWD

Comment

A couple of ugga duggas with the impact gun has never done me wrong.

Comment

Comment

Just had two replace two perfectly fine wheel bearing/hubs because P/O brought it somewhere that they cross threaded three lug nuts with a gun and the head snapped off of each when i tried to remove them leaving a nut stuck in the hub.
          i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Never lost a wheel but came close once in, of all cars, my 911. Seems the tire shop hadn't tightened them and you can imagine the disaster potential with that car.

It occurs to me that the best reason to torque them is to insure the stress is evenly distributed among the lugs. If one is notably tighter than the others it would seem much more likely to break, which would just load the others leading to more problems etc etc

I torque 2x on install and now and then grab the wrench and do a walk around on the fleet. I do find the occasional nut to snug so it's not a bad practice ....if you value your ride....and your neck
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

For something like the wheel lug nuts, a cheap HF torque wrench costs about $10 so why not buy one and throw it in the trunk?

Comment

I'm saving that one Andrew to send to a few mechanic friends..
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Seriously though, I have seen too many times during a race where a wheel came off, so we keep a torque wrench handy and check them periodically. Something you might get away with on the street isn't quite the same. I also have been able to "feel" a bolt, so generally a 1' breaker bar is enough for me to judge and be very close.

Adding to the post above about other failures, this is what cast wheels look like after a year of being beat on...

john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Interesting weight-savings idea, but don't you think mounting will be an issue?
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                      Interesting weight-savings idea, but don't you think mounting will be an issue?

Lugs were still to TQ :P

Crazy thing is, I had just gotten out of the car about 30min prior. It happened climbing the hill, turn 1 at Road Atlanta (middle of 4th gear)!

The top pic is when it was still on the roll back, we jacked it up while on the truck, slapped a new wheel on, just in time to do one lap and get the checkered flag haha.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                        hahaha this is great. I can picture that in a manual somewhere next to angle torque.
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Its just lugnuts. Secure them firmly on and go. It doesnt take more than 2 seconds with an air gun or do it manually and youll feel when it is secure.

Theres not much space to make mistakes.
                          Last edited by helalo; 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM. Reason: 8

Comment

Originally posted by helalo View Post
                            Its just a lugnuts. Its not rocket science.
                            While it isn't rocket science, it certainly is a science. And while measures are taken during design to compensate for too little torque/clamping force and too much torque, why take the 'fuck it, its just a bolt approach'?

I mean, if 3 minutes with a torque wrench saves me from serious disaster on a long, lonely stretch of highway, I'll invest the 3 minutes.

Or, just tighten the living piss out of em and take the risk of hitting a pothole/swerving to avoid something and having your shit fall apart.

Up to you.
                            My previous build (currently E30-less)
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Most times wheels come loose (asides from the track) is where people have done the lug nuts up finger tight and then forgotten to tighten them afterwards and they back out within the first few miles.
                              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Theres not much space to make mistakes.
                                and yet, one regularly sees lonely wheels on the freeway, just sitting there, wondering where their car has gotten to.....
                                and one has also had to break lugs off because some lugnut
                                has given it 5 or sixty ugga- duggas and the fucker is fusion- welded to the rim, with the
                                stud stretched 1/4" longer....
                                Terrifyingly, I can tell you that's a Mitsubishi 4wd hub from the late 80's/ early 90's.

where people have done the lug nuts up finger tight and then forgotten to tighten them afterwards
                                guilty....

t
                                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                                X