No announcement yet.

Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is confirmed, going to look at that masterpiece tomorrow. First E30 here I come!
    Last edited by Gabuhhh; 10-10-2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

First things first, it's "E30"

Otherwise, it's a good start. Needs moar 5 speed though, the swap won't be too hard
      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
      '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
      '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
        First things first, it's "E30"

Otherwise, it's a good start. Needs moar 5 speed though, the swap won't be too hard
        My bad. I don't know why I was thinking there's a hyphen there. Thank you for the correction. Now with the transmission, any specific one to look for? And how easy?

Comment

Let me offer a quick word of wisdom. Do not get your heart set on a specific car before looking at it in person (too late?) and determining what it needs and the cost. You'll either end up (1) paying too much, (2) buying a shitbox, (3) settling for something you won't be happy with long term.

So... If I were you, I'd hold out for a manual transmission, the automatic will be a disappointment. Hold out for one that is a color you like, personally I love Bronzit (mine is). If you want a 2 door, wait for one. These are things that are either impossible, impractical or expensive to change later on.

Once you find one that fits the bill, make sure you have it inspected to fully understand what you're getting into. I've had enough bimmers (and e30's) in the past to have a pretty good idea what's up with it in a quick drive around the neighborhood. Sounds like you don't have that expertise yet, so take it to a mechanic.

From there, you can make an educated decision on the right car that you'll be happy with for the next X number of years, otherwise you'll end up just wanting to replace it sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by GatoEnFuego View Post
            Once you find one that fits the bill, make sure you have it inspected to fully understand what you're getting into. I've had enough bimmers (and e30's) in the past to have a pretty good idea what's up with it in a quick drive around the neighborhood. Sounds like you don't have that expertise yet, so take it to a mechanic.
            I'm going to go inspect it tomorrow. I don't mind the color, the doors, or even the transmission. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what I could do as a long term goal with the car. I'll be happy either way. But I will take your advice and take it to a mechanic and see what's up. There is one I've seen that IS two door and IS red.(transmission unknown) but it's out of my price range.

Comment

^^I agree with Gato

Except if you find the right car (color, coupe/sedan, condition..etc.) and it's an auto, don't let that be a deal breaker. You can get a getrag 240/260 from a parts car or some guys here sell the swap complete. There's also people in your area that could help you. It's a good community
              '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
              '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
              '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
              '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
                Except if you find the right car (color, coupe/sedan, condition..etc.) and it's an auto, don't let that be a deal breaker. You can get a getrag 240/260 from a parts car or some guys here sell the swap complete. There's also people in your area that could help you. It's a good community
                True, however if you have to pay someone to do the swap it can get expensive. Sounds like he may not be mechanically inclined to do it himself. At least not yet...

Comment

I'll do some digging and see what I can find out. I mean the colors not bad, it fits the car. And I like the sedans. More space and would be a fun car to have some buddies in apposed to a coupe. But I'll check and see what's around, go look in some junk yards and also check with my local mechanics to see what the price would be for a swap...

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                    Sorry, I just don't like 4 doors. But if a car is clean, I will give it props. And that I did.
                    No man its fine I actually thought it was pretty funny :P Just poking fun nothing serious.
                    Current:
                    1989 325i
                    1988 M3
                    1987 325ic
                    Past:
                    2001 330ci
                    2001 M3

Comment

It is pretty clean for the price of 2,000. But that might all change when I go to look at it. Let's hope it's as machanically sound as it is good looking.

Comment

Did you get it? And heads up, 2 door and 4 door are the same size inside.

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Back after all this time. No didn't get it.... Still looking too... Keeping my eyes open for the perfect E30... Wish me lots of luck. Still very passionate about these cars, love the looks and can't wait to get my hands on one.

Comment

Working...
                          X