Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-prong ICV question

Dear Thirtyists,

Question about the motronic 1.0 (green ICM control box) 2-prong ICV.

Bentley tells me that at operating temperature I should have approximately 400-500 mA running through the two prongs of the ICV.

I have 470 mA running through the valve with the adjustment screw all the way in, and 480 mA running through the valve with the adjustment screw all the way out...when the engine is cold.

I have the proper resistance of the two prongs at a perfect 9.5 ohms both at the valve and measured at the ICM connector.

1. Does anyone know what the approximate current reading should be through a properly functioning ICV/ICM when the engine is cold? I assume it should be less so as to allow more air to bypass the valve to handle the increased fuel being put into the engine during warm up.

2. I should be able to adjust the valve more than 10 mA, right? If I cannot adjust this valve more than 10 mA is the problemo with the valve, or the ICM?

Thanks,
    J
    Last edited by betsy325e; 08-13-2015, 03:48 AM. Reason: Valve resistance

Update: Ran the following tests

1. engine hot with ICV #1 and ICM #1
    idle: 490 mA
    with throttle cracked open (TPS open): 480 mA
    with gear selector in reverse as opposed to P/N: 490 mA

2. engine hot with ICV #2 and ICM #1
    No change to any numbers above

3. engine hot with ICV #2 and ICM #2

4. engine hot with ICV #1 and ICM #2

Turning adjustment screw on either ICV with either ICM changed nothing, maybe 10 mA.

So. What the frig is that about? I have verified that all inputs to ICM as per tests in Bentley are A-OK about a thousand times now.

Either both ICVs and ICMs are broken in exaaaactly the same way, which is incredibly unlikely, or.......?

What the frig, people? Any ideas?

Comment

Not having worked much on ETA cars, I can't say much about the ICV. But the numbers you cited are with the range that the Bentley specifies.

What problem are you trying to solve? It many not be the ICV and could easily be any of a number of other problems, or some combination of those.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I'm trying to solve a high idle. Zero vacuum leaks...definitely seems like it's getting it's fair share of air though...

Shouldn't those mA readings change under different loads/lack of loads? On throttle, off throttle, coolant temps, in gear, in neutral, etc?

Comment

Was thinking about this at work today and it sounds like it has to be a TPS issue.

I re-ran the Bentley test for the millionth time. Continuity at closed throttle, none at open, continuity at WOT. Hoorays.

Measured voltage going into the TPS -- roughly 5-volts DCV in run.

Go back to the old ICM, go to ground, and pin 12 (closed throttle pin): zero voltage.
          Continuity test works at pins 4 and 12 as per procedure in the Bentley.

How can everything be making connection as its supposed to but not letting the sparky bits through? What the friggggggg already....

Comment

Working...
          X