Rock Walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock Walls

TL DR: Post Pics of your rock wall projects.
    I love rock walls, especially dry-set. I consider myself a beginner at best but that doesn't stop me from attempting big jobs. A few weeks ago, my uncle was nice enough to sneak his Case 580e back-hoe over to my house. We had plans to dig out a hill and thus continue the driveway through the backyard in an effort to create oodles of usable space (cough cough a place to park my toys cough). This project lead to another project - retaining wall.

During the excavation we dug up more rocks and ledge than we knew what to do with. I had enough rock to build a 63' long x roughly 4' high wall (with a radius) and still have a huge pile left over.

I battled the wall for days. Hauling huge rocks into place and then spending hours wedging them with a bar into the right spot. After knocking down 2 previous attempts I was finally satisfied with my progress. Though, never one to drag something out (I had to go back to work at some point), I ultimately decided to bring a mason in to help me finish.

Well, step one of working with the mason was to pull all the rocks away from the wall. No ego here, I was happy to have someone with the ability to see through the challenges of building a rock wall. For the third time, I dismantled my hard work.

My goal in working with the mason was to 1) get it done right the first time and 2) learn something new. I also wanted to retain a sort of rustic look so as to blend it in with the rest of the 100+ year old rock walls around my house. They agreed, and said that a rustic look would be easily achievable because the majority of the rock available was ledge, which I guess is hard to work with in regards to chinking. We also agreed that they would use cement behind the rocks in an effort to lock them in. What I was not too keen on, but went with their professional opinion, was cementing the cap. I did not have enough flat rocks and we flowed the height of the wall with the land. Ultimately, I am ok with this compromise because I know kids will be up, down and around this thing. Frankly, the cement is already fading and the eye is not drawn to it.

Working with them was a good experience. More importantly, I couldn’t have done any of this without my uncle and his talent on the machine. Even the masons were in disbelief with his ability to maneuver huge (like 7 tons huge) rock.

I’ll get some better pictures of the wall (this one looks very bad and doesn't do the size, scope or style justice – but oh well). I am still cleaning up the road and filling some gaps here and there, but let’s see some pictures and share some stories of your rock walls – pros or hobbyist, I can appreciate it all!
    Attached Files

looks pretty cool man!

Comment

Classy.

Now some sexy landscaping and lighting....!
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Ambiguity! I came here thinking we were talking about climbing walls. I leave here after looking at a couple pictures of ....well ....rocks.

Seriously, that is a lot of work. Gonna be awesome when finished.
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

More pictures.

Haha my bad flyboyx! This is like an extension of the garden tractor thread.
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm trying to get some nice dry-stacked curved rock walls built as part of the State of Montana Arboretum. The trick so far is finding the right mason, and the right rocks!

Comment

came looking for a badass climbing wall. Leaving disappoint.

Not mine, but it looks good.
              sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Working...
              X