1jz vs. Sr20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1jz vs. Sr20

Ive decided to swap engines in my e30, and ive narrowed it down to these 2 engines. Which do you guys think would be a better swap?

Solid 6 cylinder vs rocker arm snapping, rod throwing 4cyl?

I love nissans. I really do. But you're silly

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

1JZ is a much better engine but also much heavier. I'd say it really depends on your use for the car.

If you want outright power figures, reliability and straight line speed; go with the 1JZ.

If you want the car to be a bit more nimble, don't care about big power figures, and don't mind rebuilding the head every other week; go the SR20.

There are many engines I'd consider before these two, especially if I was from the US, where good BMW engines are cheap as chips. M50/S50 would be my first pick for I6's. Supercharged/Turbocharged M42, for the 4 cylinders.
      M20B23 Euro 323i - The Legend Of Ron Burgundrot

Comment

I was talking to my cousin about it, and he said the 1jz wouldnt be good in an e30 because its too much for that size of a car. He said it wouldnt handle and i would spin tires everytime i took off.

Comment

Originally posted by EuroTrash///E30 View Post
          I was talking to my cousin about it, and he said the 1jz wouldnt be good in an e30 because its too much for that size of a car. He said it wouldnt handle and i would spin tires everytime i took off.
          It's called "Not building it for the most possible HP" and running wider/stickier tires.

Your cousin should try it sometime.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

I did think about putting a S52 in it. The main reason i was thinking about these 2 engines more than the other swaps was becasue they sell kits to make the swap go a lot faster and easier.

I dont plan on having a stupid fast e30, i just want something beside the 325e. I would like more power

Comment

Have you driven an E30 with a decent N/A engine? Speed is entirely relative.

Where do you want your speed. 400km/h on autobahns, or do you want something responsive and nimble through corners?

Without a proper idea of your intentions for the car, this thread is kind of like "how long is a piece of string?".
              M20B23 Euro 323i - The Legend Of Ron Burgundrot

Comment

i want something responsive and nimble. Sorry, should have explained what i wanted in the first place haha

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's e30
                  2jz. Do it, you wont :D
                  I did think about it, but i was told it wouldnt fit. Which im pretty sure i saw someone with that swap.

Comment

OP, go S52. 240 HP with 2700 lbs WILL get you in trouble.

Comment

out of those two ... 2JZ ... why wouldn't it fit ... srlsy ppl are putting S62, S85's, M70 V12 Twin turbos etc. etc. in these shells why wouldn't a 2JZ fit .. it has already been done before..

that is if you really for some reason actually do wanna put a Japanese engine in...

Originally posted by evandael View Post
                      OP, go S52. 240 HP with 2700 lbs WILL get you in trouble.
                      S52 is an unnecessary engine , THERE I SAID IT ! ...
                      ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

it would be a downgrade in power to put a sr20 in an e30.

the old ass m20 has 170 hp....

you must mean, sr20 det? sr20 vet? you must upgrade to do an engine swap otherwise you are a looney.

the sr20 would be an upgrade from the m42 but not by a huge margin. Overall very similar.
                        the sr 20 would be a downgrade from your eta...

or you mean the straigh six nissan engines, the rb22 det or something. those are very much jap model copies of the m50

that is comparing apples to apples.
                        you want the forum to decide which is better, a 3 liter engine from the supra, or a 2 liter 4 cylinder from the nissan sentra se-r?

the sr 20 is nothing special until its turbocharged. thats what it is. its the sporty motor for sentras. it would be.... the weak ass motor for bmw 3 series they dont even sell in america anymore because accords make it look silly?

on a different not the 1jz means nothing either unless it is turbocharged for rice magazine. It is an overbuilt motor that handles turbo. Without it its a heavy motor that underperforms compared to bmw motors.
                        Last edited by stamar; 03-11-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

^+1
                          ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

engine facts...

an sr20 has 120 hp 120 tq

an m20 has 168 /165

an m20 is featured in mobil 1s million mile commercial. very reliable.

sr20 has dohc port injection distributer ignition. Meaning, its one step ahead of an m20, its actually one small step behind an m42 in modern automobile technology but overall very similar. a 2.0 liter m42 would almost exactly be an sr20 they are so similar.

no vvti vanos ( which are over rated anyway)

Ok the point of these facts is just this... no matter what you value, theres an engine in a e30 thats already better.

If you want gas mileage get one with an m42. if you want power get one with an m20.
                            way cheaper than a motor swap.

Or you may find the perfect medium is.... the eta you already have lol. Same gas mileage with more torque. your eta with the 3.73 differential would take off way better.

I do not believe a sr20 can compete with a m20 b27 other than top end.

Comment

Originally posted by Xat1cZ View Post
                              out of those two ... 2JZ ... why wouldn't it fit ... srlsy ppl are putting S62, S85's, M70 V12 Twin turbos etc. etc. in these shells why wouldn't a 2JZ fit .. it has already been done before..

that is if you really for some reason actually do wanna put a Japanese engine in...

S52 is an unnecessary engine , THERE I SAID IT ! ...
                              But a 2JZ turbo engine isn't....
                              ?????
                              For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                              Originally posted by mbonanni
                              I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
                              X