No announcement yet.

Man arrested for playing violin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, can you show me the writing saying cops can do whatever they want? And if so, somehow justify it? If you're okay with it then I guess there is nothing else to 'argue' about ;)
    Last edited by Dozyproductions; 08-06-2013, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Cops can't do 'whatever they want' but they can arrest you for 'doing something illegal'. It is kind of their job, believe it or not. If you keep pushing them do you think they will just stand there?

From an actually clever yahoo answer:

Disobeying a largely reasonable order (to leave an area) from a police officer is one of those gray areas of the law. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Assembly are rights, but they are NOT absolute. They have limits. Lying to a police officer, for example, is a jail-able offense in all states, and is not protected as free speech.

Generally speaking, if you're not in anyone's way, you're not loitering in an area where there is an enforceable code against it, you're not "assembling for the purpose of disturbing the public peace," (aka an unlawful assembly which CAN be ordered to leave) and not committing or intending to commit any crime, they essentially yes [in theory] you can disobey the police officer's order to leave. There are two possible risks in doing this though:

1. The officer [could] arrest or ticket you on for a very weak, vaguely worded law, like Disorderly Conduct, and then drop the charge and release you later. This is as risky for the cop as it is for you though, because it could be ruled an unlawful arrest by a court if you decided to sue under the Federal false arrest law (42 U.S.C. ยง 1983). This is likely why the cop was giving such ample warning: He would much rather NOT arrest you than risk this.

2. [technically] what you were committing the crime of harassment against the cop. Not at first when he was just overhearing you. But when you pressed it and mocked him by telling him to roll his window up or leave, you were verbally and deliberately annoying him. He could have ticketed you for this, but again it may or may have stood up in court. Just remember this that when you deliberately start "pushing" a police officer, he is a human being and a citizen just as you are.
      Again, can you show me the writing saying cops can do whatever they want? And if so, somehow justify it? If you're okay with it then I guess there is nothing else to 'argue' about
      Here is a nice website to read.
      https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Re...mphlet-21.aspx

You can be stopped if you are suspected of committing a crime. You can be arrested if they believe you did commit a crime.

Is 'contempt of cop' a crime? Sort of~ they can sure handcuff you and haul you in for it, although you may go free in a few hours.

Why would you think a cop couldn't arrest a suspicious person? You know you can even citizens arrest people, right?

Comment

police should be forced to wear cameras, a police department near me tried this out and officers using force went down 60% and complaints against officers went from like an average of 24 a month to three. it would protect citizens from police brutality and it would protect police from bogus complaints
        88 325is Five Speed
        Lachssilber

Comment

I agree with the camera thing- sound+video from their pocket or something would keep everyone more honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Q5Quint View Post
            Cops can't do 'whatever they want' but they can arrest you for 'doing something illegal'. It is kind of their job, believe it or not. If you keep pushing them do you think they will just stand there?

From an actually clever yahoo answer:

Here is a nice website to read.
            https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Re...mphlet-21.aspx

You can be stopped if you are suspected of committing a crime. You can be arrested if they believe you did commit a crime.

Is 'contempt of cop' a crime? Sort of~ they can sure handcuff you and haul you in for it, although you may go free in a few hours.

Why would you think a cop couldn't arrest a suspicious person? You know you can even citizens arrest people, right?
            Good info even it's disgusting ;) But still in the video they are being told that he isn't committing a crime by subway management. Would be awesome if everyone in these cases sued the cops.

So can you citizens arrest a cop when he lies?

Camera's would be great
            Last edited by Dozyproductions; 08-07-2013, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DIIRTY-30 View Post
              Police - Largest legally operating gang in America.
              So true...one of the many reasons I won't be moving back to the US anytime soon.
              -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeDE View Post
                So true...one of the many reasons I won't be moving back to the US anytime soon.
                And one of the reasons I may be leaving the US very soon. This country is going downhill. And fast.
                '91 Brilliantrot 318iS - Sold
                '95 e34 s50 Touring - P/O
                '87 Alpine White 325iS - Current

Comment

Working...
                X