885 head on 2.7i block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

885 head on 2.7i block

just got an 86 e30 , it had an m20b25 head (885) , on an m20b27 (2.7l)
    i'm not sure how much power i am making but i know the 2.7 has more low end torque. what are common mods for this setup?
    1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
    1998 e36 328ic/5 -
    Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
    1967 2002 parts car
    1994 318iS junked.

first off, welcome to R3v. I'm going to treat you as a new to e30s guy and be very specific, dont be insulted if you already know this stuff.

first things first, maintenance parts. but thats obvious, now to more 2.7i stuff.

If you're motronic 1.0 (ETA electronics with just an 885 head) then i would first recommend upgrading fully to motronic 1.3, head, intake manifold, ecu, throttle body, AFM, exhaust etc. but you may already be 1.3.

To check quickly if you are 1.3 without removing anything, look at the front of your engine down by the harmonic balancer on the passenger side there will be a crank position sensor if its there you got 1.3. you can also check your spark plug wires for a reference sensor on the 6th spark plug wire, or if you dont mind looking at the ecu youll be looking for 525, 173, or another 1.3 ecu.

biggest thing would be getting a chip made specifically for your setup. so if you wanted to decide on 19lb injectors (make sure you have 1.3 first as different injectors have different impedance) an m30 AFM, long tube headers etc, you can install these things with a chip made specifically for those parts on a 2.7i car. before buying a chip though you will NEED to know what ECU you have and all the little details of your setup in order to make sure the chip is just right for you.

something like this, SSSquid is very helpful and is a great contributor to the 2.7i guys. but of course you can always shop around. (though you'll find reviews about squid are always great)

next you can upgrade to a shorter differential. If you have simply the 2.7i build chances are you still have an ETA differential which will be very long (good MPG, bad acceleration) and can upgrade to a shorter diff (i chose a 3.73lsd and its a blast, 4.10lsd are also very fun but the shorter you go the better your acceleration and the worse your MPG) simple way to check your diff ratio is go under the car and look at the metal tag on the diff right by the speedometer sensor plug and it will say the ratio (2.79, S2.93, s3.73 etc) the S will indicate a limited slip differential.

Cold air intakes will sound cool and look nice but usually dont do much in the way of performance but you can always go for a Kamotors CAI (i did and love it).

theres tons of upgrades, but i feel like im starting to get too far away from 2.7i stuff and just getting into basic e30 upgrading so...hope this helps. if you have questions about the motor or specifics, please utilize the search button first and check the 2.7i thread under the m20 section.

If, after that, you are coming up empty send me a message I'll be glad to help.

goodluck man

Comment

thanks for the warm welcome mate. will keep in touch. might consider the kamotors cai down the road, the man i bought it from actually happens to know him. his build is good
      1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
      1998 e36 328ic/5 -
      Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
      1967 2002 parts car
      1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Working...
      X