X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPS Continuity but no Voltage to ICM

Thirty peeps,

Strange problem:

Have voltage at plug to TPS (5 DCV as per spec).

Have continuity between all pins at ECU and ICM when throttle closed.
    No continuity when throttle open -- so the switch is working. Have tested switch independently as well.

However, I have no voltage at run with the throttle closed between ground and pin #12 (closed throttle signal input to ICM).

Car runs fine when I'm on the gas because it's acting as it should be...but at closed throttle the thing idles really high because it isn't doing anything.

I'm so desperate to finally solve this high idle issue and this TPS no voltage to ICM thing is definitely the issue.

Does anyone know how that's even possible/what could be going on? I'm afraid to test any output/input voltage wise on the ECU because I don't accidentally fry something in there.

High idle solved finally!

Figured it out.

Wired in two separate volt meters in between TPS harness connection and TPS and another between pins 4 and 12 on the ICM. With everything wired up with solid connections I get voltage to the ICM finally.

TPS connector is connecting well enough to show continuity but is NOT passing through voltage. Bad TPS connector at harness...i guess the little teeth are worn out or bent or something.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future with these incredibly frustrating high idle issues when you've checked everything you can think of:

Do your Bentley test for TPS continuity, but if you have a separate ICM, check for voltage at closed throttle. Bentley doesn't say to, and it's such a whack ass thing (if you've got continuity you should obviously be getting current), but apparently it's possible to get just enough contact for continuity but not enough to pass voltage. According to Bentley everything is fine, but it might not be.

Thanks to everyone who has posted to help me out.

Comment

Working...
    X