charcoal canister delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charcoal canister delete

hey guys was wondering if I take out my charcoal canister and put a T fitting and connect the lines and at the top put one of those air filters from autozone to let it vent? not trying to get rid of it thinking its weight reduction or hp I jus did an s50 swap and im doin a wire clean up and literally have no where to mount it. some ppl say take the purge valve off and cap it at the TB and then as for the line jus zip tie it up and put that filter on it? but im not trying to blow up my car lol please help thanks!

I removed the canister and purge valve. I put the cheapie fuel filter at the back under the right rear fender where the overflow tank is.

Not sure if it's a legit concern, but I remember thinking I didn't want fuel evaporating into the engine bay.

Som

Comment

so it wonit make my engine run any different capping it off at the TB? I will jus put a filter on the hose coming from the tank and re route it so it is pointing away from the engine bay?

Comment

I don't know the exact process for when the purge valve opens up. I've read a few different things, like it opens once when you start the car and that's it, or maybe that it opens based on driving time elapsed. *shrug* Suffice it to say, the valve operates as normally closed -- which would be the same effect as plugging the TB.

As far as the hose, it doesn't come from the tank directly -- it goes through the overflow tank in the right rear wheel well. See this image:

It's totally up to you -- and might be worth feedback from people more in the know -- but I didn't think it was a good idea having anything that could possibly emit gasoline fumes going anywhere into an engine bay that has hot spots like the exhaust manifold in it. I don't know how much gas make it out, so I have no way of knowing whether it's enough to warrant concern over it being ignited.

Since I don't know the answer, I went with the "safer" route of putting the filter on in the right rear wheel well. Same net effect, cleaner engine bay.

Som

Comment

so you think it would be ok to do it how I said? maybe a T fiting in between them or jus cap the TB and jus run the rubber line backwards under the driver and zip tie it with the filter on it?

Comment

I don't know if the M50 DME will complain about a missing evap valve. So what I'd do (and have done on race cars) is to leave the valve connected to the TB and plug the line that went to the charcoal canister. You will need to put some sort of filter on the end of the line that ran from the gas tank to the charcoal canister, like a small in-line fuel filter.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X