No announcement yet.

The r3v motorcycle thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isn't the cheapest option, but take a look for custom molded ones. It cost me ~$100 (CAD) per pair for molded earplugs to use on the bike and at work. They were well worth the money. No more fuss with them getting tugged and pulled when dropping a helmet on, no more forgetting to bring enough spare foam plugs, and they're designed to block out all the wind noise but keep everything you want to hear.

The same plugs I got are available as headphones at an obviously increased cost. Might be expensive though I never looked into it myself. Benefit of them is you don't need to crank up the volume to overcome all the other noise so not as tiring to have on.

Sidenote: I used to listen to music while riding, then I traded the GSXR for a v-twin. The bike is my music now :devil:

EDIT: Decided to google that to make sure it was actually reasonable, came across these
    NOTE: This Product Requires Ear Impressions. A do-it-yourself impression kit is available as an option, or you can obtain ear impressions locally. Please View Instructions Before You Purchase This Product. These Got Ears?® Brand Challenger Custom Molded High-Performance Isolation Earphones are our top recommendation for anyone who wants to wear earphones while sleeping, while wearing a motorcycle helmet or during vigorous physical exercise. You can even swim with these earphones in place! Got Ears?® Challenger earphones work with smart phones, ipods, motorcycle comm systems, as listen only or you can choose to add the in-line mic and use your Challengers to talk on the phone. (Please note: the in-line mic is not available for the RH model.) They also work with all portable music players equipped with a standard 3.5mm plug, providing powerful bass and crisp, clear music across the audible spectrum, with 25+ dB of isolation that lets you escape into a world of your own music.   Challenger Custom Molded Isolation Earphone Features: Review from 2WF.com: "I have worn them on a few 500+ mile days (all interstate riding too) and it isn't until after 8 hours of wearing them that my ears get a little sore. I have sensitive ears and even the foam plugs bother me after a few hours. Having the ability to listen to tunes while droning along the interstate is priceless (insert your own credit card commercial here). One of the nicest things is that since the speakers sit embedded into the polymer and the sound is fed directly into your ear, I tend to keep the volume lower than with regular earphones. This saves my ears from too many decibels while still allowing me to listen to something other than my own thoughts..." Advanced Design: The custom molded silicone earpieces fully enclose top quality industry standard Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers, so only a wire exits the ear cavity. The only outlet is the sound port delivering high quality sound directly into your ear canal. The drivers are so well sealed inside the earpieces, and the custom molded earpieces seal your ears so well that you can even swim with your Got Ears?® Challengers in place! As a result, your Challengers will serve you well whether you use them in the comfort of your living room, while commuting to and from work, riding your motorcycle, flying on noisy airplanes or during vigorous exercise in a full sweat. Smart, Twisted Wires: Got Ears?® Challenger earphones feature an advanced wire design with a thin but very strong twisted pair upper wire that is flexible enough to comfortably route the wires over the ear or down from the ear. The thin, flexible upper wires greatly reduce micro-phonic transmission of unwanted noise into the earpieces making Challengers ideal for even the most active user. A tensioning slider lets you snug the wires up behind your head for a neat look and secure fit even during robust physical exercise. The double insulated lower wire with a molded strain-relief 90 degree plug provides extra durability and strength that will stand up to even the most challenging environments. The wires are available only in black and are not user-replaceable. (If you should break a wire, repairs generally run from $25 to $50, depending on what is wrong. We have customers with Challengers over 5 years old that are still going strong.) Audiophile-Quality Sound: Only the most discerning audiophile or professional musician will find anything lacking in these great earphones, and even they will not find much to complain about! For even better sound, we offer the option of adding a second driver to each earpiece, converting your single driver Challengers to dual driver earphones. Quality Craftsmanship: Beginning with your ear impressions, professional lab techs fabricate your personal set of Challengers using heat cured silicone for maximum comfort and durability. The wires are attached to the drivers and then wrapped all the way around the drivers to improve wire tug resistance. Style! Got Ears?® Challengers let you express your personal sense of style by choosing from 11 different colors, swirling 2-3 colors together, adding sparkles, and/or adding glow-in-the-dark enhancements. Situational Awareness: For those who need to be able to hear warning sounds and carry on conversations while wearing your Challengers, we recommend adding the Hock's Noise Braker acoustic filter to your Challenger earphones. With the Hocks acoustic filters installed, the attenuation is reduced to an NRR of 19-21 dB (which provides noise protection up to 106 dB) while letting you carry on a face to face conversation (if you turn down your music volume, that is...) Hocks acoustic filters provide variable noise reduction that lets you clearly hear voices and other low level sounds, but increases in attenuation as the volume of noise increases, providing automatically increasing noise protection as you need it. Warranty: Got Ears?® Challengers are backed by a 90 day fit guarantee and a 6 month manufacturer's warranty. Choosing a Challenger Model Got Ears?® Challenger full custom molded isolation earphones are available in four models: Got Ears?® Challenger Model M (for maximum) features custom molded earpieces that fill your outer ear, and extend well into the canal, thereby offering the best noise attenuation, and making these Challengers an excellent choice for workplaces or anywhere you want the maximum in noise protection (NRR 28) Comes with 52" fixed cord with 90 degree stereo plug.  Got Ears?® Challenger Model S (for sleep) is designed to emphasize comfort, and features a "shelled out" earpiece with a thinner more flexible concave outer earpiece and medium canal for greater comfort during sleep or under a motorcycle helmet. Noise attenuation is estimated at 20-25 dB. Comes with 52" fixed cord with 90 degree stereo plug.  Got Ears?® Challenger Model RH (for racing harness) is designed to meet the specific requirements of race car drivers for a racing communications headset. The RH Model Challenger features full ear custom molds for maximum attenuation, 18" cords that are just the right length to reach the plug on the cockpit dashboard, and a straight 3.5mm mono plug.  Got Ears?® Challenger Model MH (for motorcycle helmet) is designed to conveniently attach to a helmet mounted motorcycle comm unit. The MH Model Challenger features a shelled out earpieces that fit comfortably under a helmet, a 19" cord with a straight 3.5mm standard stereo plug. Noise attenuation is estimated at 20-25 dB so you can still hear road sounds. CAUTION: At 25+ dB of isolation, operating a vehicle or machinery can be dangerous because of the difficulty of hearing audio warning signals and alarms, especially while listening to music, which makes these sounds more difficult to hear. We encourage you to test your ability to hear warning signals and alarms before operating a vehicle or machinery, and do not wear this device if find that you cannot adequately hear. Need Single-Ear Challengers? Single ear mono version also available. Please contact us for information. Got Ears?® Challenger Specifications Got Ears?® Challenger Earphone Specifications Frequency Response: 20Hz-16KHz Sensitivity at 1 KHz: 98 dB SPL per 1 MV Input with Single Drivers, and 119 dB with Dual Drivers. Impedance: 50 Ohms with Single Drivers, and 20 Ohms with Dual Drivers. Maximum Safe Continuous Input: 3 V RMS Weight: Less than 1 Ounce plus Ear Molds Cord Supplied: 4' with 3.5 mm Standard 90 Degree Stereo Mini Plug, or as specified in the model description. More Challenger Earphones & Accessories

No idea about quality, but they're reasonably priced for what they are. The instructions say to have a professional do the fitting, and claims that it averages ~$50 which sounds about right to me.
    Last edited by Varinn; 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM.
    1990 332i, 4 door
    2008 KTM 990 Superduke
    2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
    2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

The r3v motorcycle thread

Got the bosses GS850 running. Wasn't much to it, just the front brakes locked up and someone stole the battery and cut the cables to do so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425600363.762565.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	7173990

Now it begs the question. Do I tell him how much fun it was blasting around the block, or tell him it'll take a bunch of money to bring it back up to snuff from a year ago when it started sitting and maybe he should just sell it to me?

The damn thing has a kick start! How can pass this up?!

Comment

Why do i have urge to sing Purple Rain all of sudden?
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I better go buy a couple rattle cans of metallic burple and get this show on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
            Sidenote: I used to listen to music while riding, then I traded the GSXR for a v-twin. The bike is my music now :devil:

EDIT: Decided to google that to make sure it was actually reasonable, came across these
            NOTE: This Product Requires Ear Impressions. A do-it-yourself impression kit is available as an option, or you can obtain ear impressions locally. Please View Instructions Before You Purchase This Product. These Got Ears?® Brand Challenger Custom Molded High-Performance Isolation Earphones are our top recommendation for anyone who wants to wear earphones while sleeping, while wearing a motorcycle helmet or during vigorous physical exercise. You can even swim with these earphones in place! Got Ears?® Challenger earphones work with smart phones, ipods, motorcycle comm systems, as listen only or you can choose to add the in-line mic and use your Challengers to talk on the phone. (Please note: the in-line mic is not available for the RH model.) They also work with all portable music players equipped with a standard 3.5mm plug, providing powerful bass and crisp, clear music across the audible spectrum, with 25+ dB of isolation that lets you escape into a world of your own music.   Challenger Custom Molded Isolation Earphone Features: Review from 2WF.com: "I have worn them on a few 500+ mile days (all interstate riding too) and it isn't until after 8 hours of wearing them that my ears get a little sore. I have sensitive ears and even the foam plugs bother me after a few hours. Having the ability to listen to tunes while droning along the interstate is priceless (insert your own credit card commercial here). One of the nicest things is that since the speakers sit embedded into the polymer and the sound is fed directly into your ear, I tend to keep the volume lower than with regular earphones. This saves my ears from too many decibels while still allowing me to listen to something other than my own thoughts..." Advanced Design: The custom molded silicone earpieces fully enclose top quality industry standard Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers, so only a wire exits the ear cavity. The only outlet is the sound port delivering high quality sound directly into your ear canal. The drivers are so well sealed inside the earpieces, and the custom molded earpieces seal your ears so well that you can even swim with your Got Ears?® Challengers in place! As a result, your Challengers will serve you well whether you use them in the comfort of your living room, while commuting to and from work, riding your motorcycle, flying on noisy airplanes or during vigorous exercise in a full sweat. Smart, Twisted Wires: Got Ears?® Challenger earphones feature an advanced wire design with a thin but very strong twisted pair upper wire that is flexible enough to comfortably route the wires over the ear or down from the ear. The thin, flexible upper wires greatly reduce micro-phonic transmission of unwanted noise into the earpieces making Challengers ideal for even the most active user. A tensioning slider lets you snug the wires up behind your head for a neat look and secure fit even during robust physical exercise. The double insulated lower wire with a molded strain-relief 90 degree plug provides extra durability and strength that will stand up to even the most challenging environments. The wires are available only in black and are not user-replaceable. (If you should break a wire, repairs generally run from $25 to $50, depending on what is wrong. We have customers with Challengers over 5 years old that are still going strong.) Audiophile-Quality Sound: Only the most discerning audiophile or professional musician will find anything lacking in these great earphones, and even they will not find much to complain about! For even better sound, we offer the option of adding a second driver to each earpiece, converting your single driver Challengers to dual driver earphones. Quality Craftsmanship: Beginning with your ear impressions, professional lab techs fabricate your personal set of Challengers using heat cured silicone for maximum comfort and durability. The wires are attached to the drivers and then wrapped all the way around the drivers to improve wire tug resistance. Style! Got Ears?® Challengers let you express your personal sense of style by choosing from 11 different colors, swirling 2-3 colors together, adding sparkles, and/or adding glow-in-the-dark enhancements. Situational Awareness: For those who need to be able to hear warning sounds and carry on conversations while wearing your Challengers, we recommend adding the Hock's Noise Braker acoustic filter to your Challenger earphones. With the Hocks acoustic filters installed, the attenuation is reduced to an NRR of 19-21 dB (which provides noise protection up to 106 dB) while letting you carry on a face to face conversation (if you turn down your music volume, that is...) Hocks acoustic filters provide variable noise reduction that lets you clearly hear voices and other low level sounds, but increases in attenuation as the volume of noise increases, providing automatically increasing noise protection as you need it. Warranty: Got Ears?® Challengers are backed by a 90 day fit guarantee and a 6 month manufacturer's warranty. Choosing a Challenger Model Got Ears?® Challenger full custom molded isolation earphones are available in four models: Got Ears?® Challenger Model M (for maximum) features custom molded earpieces that fill your outer ear, and extend well into the canal, thereby offering the best noise attenuation, and making these Challengers an excellent choice for workplaces or anywhere you want the maximum in noise protection (NRR 28) Comes with 52" fixed cord with 90 degree stereo plug.  Got Ears?® Challenger Model S (for sleep) is designed to emphasize comfort, and features a "shelled out" earpiece with a thinner more flexible concave outer earpiece and medium canal for greater comfort during sleep or under a motorcycle helmet. Noise attenuation is estimated at 20-25 dB. Comes with 52" fixed cord with 90 degree stereo plug.  Got Ears?® Challenger Model RH (for racing harness) is designed to meet the specific requirements of race car drivers for a racing communications headset. The RH Model Challenger features full ear custom molds for maximum attenuation, 18" cords that are just the right length to reach the plug on the cockpit dashboard, and a straight 3.5mm mono plug.  Got Ears?® Challenger Model MH (for motorcycle helmet) is designed to conveniently attach to a helmet mounted motorcycle comm unit. The MH Model Challenger features a shelled out earpieces that fit comfortably under a helmet, a 19" cord with a straight 3.5mm standard stereo plug. Noise attenuation is estimated at 20-25 dB so you can still hear road sounds. CAUTION: At 25+ dB of isolation, operating a vehicle or machinery can be dangerous because of the difficulty of hearing audio warning signals and alarms, especially while listening to music, which makes these sounds more difficult to hear. We encourage you to test your ability to hear warning signals and alarms before operating a vehicle or machinery, and do not wear this device if find that you cannot adequately hear. Need Single-Ear Challengers? Single ear mono version also available. Please contact us for information. Got Ears?® Challenger Specifications Got Ears?® Challenger Earphone Specifications Frequency Response: 20Hz-16KHz Sensitivity at 1 KHz: 98 dB SPL per 1 MV Input with Single Drivers, and 119 dB with Dual Drivers. Impedance: 50 Ohms with Single Drivers, and 20 Ohms with Dual Drivers. Maximum Safe Continuous Input: 3 V RMS Weight: Less than 1 Ounce plus Ear Molds Cord Supplied: 4' with 3.5 mm Standard 90 Degree Stereo Mini Plug, or as specified in the model description. More Challenger Earphones & Accessories
            Thanks for the find mate! Yet those are a bit out of my budget. I got a dual wolf exhaust out of mine and she does it just fine for me for the shorter trips as well :devil:. I just need something for a 400 mile trip im making soon. It looks funny but this might be what I'll be doing.

+

Or have you seen the sure's?
            Last edited by Dozyproductions; 03-06-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
              Thanks for the find mate! Yet those are a bit out of my budget. I got a dual wolf exhaust out of mine and she does it just fine for me for the shorter trips as well :devil:. I just need something for a 400 mile trip im making soon. It looks funny but this might be what I'll be doing.

+

Or have you seen the sure's?
              http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-...B004PNZFZ8#Ask
              Honestly I just rock the cheap sony ear buds, they are great, can hear the music nice and clear, but dont have to crank it up either, so I can still hear the bike/sirens./horns etc. Only thing that sucks is they wear out quick around the connections/wires.

Got the XR done and up for sale now, had it at my shop, ha everyone wanted to ride it, so I let them take her for a few spins around our "loop". Thing is a fucking tractor, nice and torquey, would make an excellent trail bike, and that crazy secondary carb setup is insane, acts like its boosted when you crank on the throttle ;D

Comment

More pictures of the monster I picked up a few weeks ago. Today was the first nice day I could actually ride it hard and the power curve/delivery is incredible. Nothing like my past honda 4 bangers. And that trellis frame is a timeless design :D

Originally posted by LowR3V'in
                It's in the name e30tech not e30offtopic

Comment

Awesome, that bike looks so classic and pretty compared to the newer batmobile/bug-type styling everyone moved towards.

Long live round headlights!!!!

Comment

Ayrton Senna on a Monster:

Last edited by R3Z3N; 03-11-2015, 12:24 AM.

Comment

No that's a honda lol

Originally posted by LowR3V'in
                      It's in the name e30tech not e30offtopic

Comment

All this talk about $$$ custom earplugs... I just use foam ones. I keep a handful of spares in my riding suit pocket and a bag in my backpack, and I am never without them.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

Well earplugs with speakers in them ;)

Comment

I have helmet speakers, with the volume up I can hear them fine through the ear plugs, and can still hear what's going on around me. Good sound quality too, highly recommended.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 1-26

Comment

any euro riders in here that can ship something to the U.S.?

Comment

Well got the XR sold, sad to see it go, but happy to see it going to a good home. Getting the suzuki back together as we speak, im hoping to have that running hear in the next few days.

Oh and Im not sure if I posted this, this was from last summer. My CBR had a small coolant leak running down the stator cover, literally a 3 dollar O ring, and I had to do this to get to it. You can see the hole where the flange/o ring sit, the frame blocked one of the bolts just enough to not be able to get at it with out dropping the fucking motor down

Comment

Working...
                                X