No announcement yet.

A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is so so so rad. Hope I can see it sometime :)

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      This is so so so rad. Hope I can see it sometime :)
      Agha, We have to go for eh ride and get ladies in the sports car....

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Bought my plane ticket to fly up this weekend and pick her up. I'm having a weird deja vu right now haha
        Simon
        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Agha, We have to go for eh ride and get ladies in the sports car....

This evening it just took one tall white guy driving to have two women want to go for a ride in it... That never happens with my car, and my car is better looking. hahaha.

I put another 40 miles on it this evening, didn't miss a beat. The car is such a contrast to mine. Mine is like a wild beast looking to eat an unsuspecting person standing there, whereas Simon's car is almost timid in comparison. Women seem to not be afraid of it. 60 mph in 5th gear is 4k rpm in mine, its 3rd gear in your car. My car is loud, brash and fast, whereas yours is much more humble. Once it has a new exhaust on it, it will sound really good, but not that loud. (carbs are loud, but that is a good thing)

Will
          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

So, oil in the diff and transmission is changed, the transmission shifts so much better. I also got most of the grease fittings in the front end done, there were a couple that wouldn't take any grease. Brakes work (shitball pads and shoes, but they work correctly) carbs are the best I can get them. They aren't perfect, but they are pretty good. I'll be really interested to see how they are on a WBO2 sensor. No coolant leaks, a few random oil leaks (not really a surprise). I'll do an oil change on it tomorrow, and it should be as good as its going to get. I'm still trying to figure out why the headlights took a crap. (I'm really puzzled on that one.)

I've had a few complements on the car from random people. I think you will get lots after its really cleaned up and fully sorted.

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

I cant wait to be driving it!
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Well, today was a long day. It actually starred yesterday. Took another Spirit flight to Oakland, this time a one-way. I lucked out and Bob (Tinkerer007) happened to be heading to Sonoma County from Fremont and was nice enough to take me to Wills house. A true Uber drive when he showed up in his Polaris EuroM30 E24. Sorry no pics.

While all of this was going on, Will was working hard putting the finishing touches. At this point we were content with the mechanical side so he polished her up. He took some pics too at the Golden hour

Even with it being very dark when we arrived, I could still see the shine in the paint. It was going to be hard to sleep...

Woke up at 6am, tried to get some good rest but I couldn't wait to get my day started. It was going to be a long one too.

I planned to take the scenic route down 1 but that wasn't possible and I definitely didn't want to drive I5 because it was going to be crazy hot and with no top I'd probably die, or at least want to be dead. The plan was to make a quick stop at my parents in SanJose and then take 101 instead of 5 since it was about a 20* difference.

We grabbed breakfast, and I packed up the car, fueled up and reset the trip meter.

We fit the top in the trunk and I hope to never install it on the car, its crap but I won't throw it away

Will couldn't resist showing me the old fuel filters. These had less than 100 miles each. This comes into play here soon. He also showed me how to blow out the fuel line because there's something still in the fuel tank that blocks the fuel line.

We didn't know what the shift knob was and this bottom side is more proof. Maybe now I can finally drill that cue ball and make it a shift knob too?...

Enough of that, let's hit the road. First leg of the trip was just over 100 miles. Loving it already and got plenty of thumbs up and saw some people take pics too. This car definitely gets a good response from people

Upon arriving at my parents house the engine noise felt louder and made me really nervous. What I failed to notice was that these Type2 Solex carbs have some weird issues and I guess they go from a ~750 idle to like 1500!

I was paranoid and my brother was also moving his stuff to SanDiego so I thought screw it, let's get a Trailer and save me the risk of breaking down..... buuuuut it wasn't meant to be. Not really cheap but the problem was the 1.5 hour each way we'd have to go to get the trailer. Oh well, let's do it!

Left my parents and got moving. The car started to stumble and I remembered what Will told me . Pulled over and pulled the fuel filter, blew into the line and as I was about to put the filter back on, I noticed the crud at the bottom. Makes sense as I just drove 100 miles. Luckily we bought 3 new filters from Napa, so I installed one of those. Now we're moving! This was basically me for the next 450 miles as I took the "scenic" route

I stopped in Santa Barbara to test drive a 85M10 car, it was a pile but I did get this pic

I found the car was happiest at 3500rpms and I actually got 30mpg while going around 75mph

Car hadnt been driven since '86 and in the last 2 months Will had done about 2-250 miles. Today, she did 550 and really didn't give me any problems.

This is going to be a fun one. Time to rip out the nasty 70s carpet and put some more miles on it.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

It's home! Beautiful car. Glad you made it without too much fuss.

Comment

Nice, but your gonna feel paranoid in it since they are so small Nobody will even notice you. Might think about getting a 3rd brake light for roll bar mount with a strobe feature.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Congratulations!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                        It's home! Beautiful car. Glad you made it without too much fuss.

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                        Congratulations!
                        Thanks guys. She did pretty damn good for barely being driven in the last 30, and suddenly being asked to drive 500+ miles in a matter of hours

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                        Nice, but your gonna feel paranoid in it since they are so small Nobody will even notice you. Might think about getting a 3rd brake light for roll bar mount with a strobe feature.

Yes I agree, I actually plan to upgrade the entire lighting system. It would be nice if there was a brighter taillight setup similar to what the 2002 have currently. Even the 914 now have a brighter option. Luckily upgrading the headlights shouldn't be too difficult as they are basic round headlights

First thing I need to do is to get the lights to actually work. Brake lights and turn signals work but headlights and running lamps don't. I think the headlight switch died as Will tested just about everything else and they were working until recently
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Congrats!

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
                          Do keep us updated as you progress, even if you somehow manage to come across a "R3V" for Datsun
                          1990 325i
                          2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh.., and not to derail this thread, what happened to the C350?
                            1990 325i
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm glad the car made it home under its own power. It will be a good car. By no means did I get the car perfect, but its come a long way since I first took a look at it. There is something satisfying about taking a neglected car, investing some time in it, and getting it back on the road. Sure, it was frustrating at times when things simply didn't want to work, but in the end, knowing that you drove it 600 miles under its own power all the way home with nothing more than a leaf blocking the fuel pickup a couple times made my day. Its kinda cool to look back and see how far its come in 2 months.

Here is an album of the pics I took while I was reviving it.

Will
                              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Wow! Props to you Will. The car would not be where it is today without you!

Thanks for sharing!
                                1990 325i
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X