Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official OBD1 vs OBD2 argument thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing some homework on this so I know more about what is going on in the OBD2 harness.

Originally posted by Gooch View Post
    The wiring for the swap all seems to be the same (with regards to OBDI) EXCEPT for Pin 14 on the X20 (RPM to cluster). On my OBDII wiring harness Pin 14 is blank. I posed this question to nando and it seems that Pin 1 on the X6031 (one of the two adjacent connectors to the X20) is actually the RPM to the cluster. So is this the ONLY difference with the wiring? I'm pretty sure that it is, but if there is anyone with first hand experience, I'd love to hear from you.
    Pin 14 is missing on my OBD2 harness as well aka not used at all w/ OBD2.

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
    Wiring is a good bit different. And the RPM signal is still on the X20. The CEL is however on the X6031.
    Edit: CEL is Pin 1 x6031

I am pretty sure with these last two, which I had wrong as well, I have got most of the pins for OBD2 down. I certainly hope so, I've spent enough hours looking at ETMs.
    Last edited by mammoth_e30; 12-28-2011, 12:00 PM.

Comment

If a car is already running a s52 OBD1 setup is there any reason or benefit to change it to OBD2?
      Last edited by MC Hammered; 12-28-2011, 03:30 AM.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Pin 20 on the C101 is EITHER a ground or a needed Hot wire. If you mix it up youll burn the car to the ground as nothing there is fused.
        Ive never seen a OBD2 harness with a pin 14.

Pin 14 on the C101 is typically VSS.

Check Us out on Facebook
        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
        Full Product Line Tuning
        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

there's no pin 14 but there's still a VSS signal on the X6031.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
            Pin 20 on the C101 is EITHER a ground or a needed Hot wire. If you mix it up youll burn the car to the ground as nothing there is fused.
            Ive never seen a OBD2 harness with a pin 14.

Pin 14 on the C101 is typically VSS.
            pin 20 on C101 (red/yellow) should be ABS and Edit: removed

Pin 14 x20 in OBD1 should be the edit: VSS according to the 1995 ETM 6211.0-03.

In OBD2 it looks like this signal goes directly to the instrument cluster. 1998 ETM 6211.0-03 & 6211.0-04.

If I'm incorrect please school me, I'm new at reading these and could be missing something.
            Last edited by mammoth_e30; 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mammoth_e30 View Post
              pin 20 on C101 (red/yellow) should be ABS and needs power from the harness or a fuse from what I have read.
              and this is how you burn your car to the ground. If you supply it with +12 and its supposed to be a simple ground. Then fire will happen..

Pin 14 x20 in OBD1 should be the RPM accoring to the 1995 ETM 6211.0-03.

In OBD2 it looks like this signal goes directly to the instrument cluster. 1998 ETM 6211.0-03 & 6211.0-04.

If I'm incorrect please school me, I'm new at reading these and could be missing something.
              On OBD1 Pin 14 on the X20 is VSS not RPM.

Check Us out on Facebook
              Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
              Full Product Line Tuning
              OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

pin 20 on C101 (red/yellow) should be ABS and needs power from the harness or a fuse from what I have read.

Pin 14 x20 in OBD1 should be the RPM accoring to the 1995 ETM 6211.0-03.

pin 20 already has power from the harness side, or as 328ijunkie said, sometimes it's a ground (cars with an ABS relay). you don't add power to it, unless you want a massive short and/or electrical fire. you do sometimes jump it to pin 6 to provide power to the ABS on later cars. But you never add 12v to pin 20. It's meant to provide power to the OBD port. it's also fused already.

pin 14 is always VSS, never RPM. On OBD2 it moved to X6031 pin 3.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

This is really good stuff, guys, please keep it up.

Mammoth, I think we're going to need to collaborate a little bit...I need to spend some more time in the OBDII ETM, though.

EDIT: I think I started the confusion regarding VSS/RPM. Meant VSS but said RPM before, gonna go ahead and edit that in my other post.

EDIT 2: So is anything else needed on the X6031 besides Pin 1 (CEL) and Pin 3 (VSS)?
                  Last edited by Gooch; 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                  '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                  '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                  '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

This is really good stuff, guys, please keep it up.
                    +1

Thank you very much nando & 3281junkie for correcting me and the misinformation i got from bf.c

i'm up for some collaboration Gooch. I wanted to get it wired and running myself with my own adapter (OCD) and then send my harness to 328ijunkie to get it pinned all nice and pretty. This is mainly because I want to run most of the OBD2 emissions related equip and not all of it goes through the X20, the carbon canister and fuel tank pressure valve go through X6031.
                    Last edited by mammoth_e30; 12-28-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

EDIT 2: So is anything else needed on the X6031 besides Pin 1 (CEL) and Pin 3 (VSS)?
                      I don't think so, unless you want the emissions stuff.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
                        If a car is already running a s52 OBD1 setup is there any reason or benefit to change it to OBD2?
                        I'm no expert, but I can't think of one. I haven't seen any definitive proof that one makes more power vs. the other (assuming manifolds, displacements, etc. are the same).

For me, simplicity wins the day and OBDI is simpler (as well as easier to chip). OBDII was designed for tighter controls on emissions, not to make more power. In some vehicles, it can be a nightmare to keep running as the car ages and fails emissions for check engine lights that have no realized impact on how the vehicle performs.

It seems like people generally go OBDII b/c when they pull the engine, they can pull everything they need to convert, so at that point, its cheaper than tracking down the OBDI items.

Comment

I understand when the swaps were being done a couple of years ago OBD1 was the way to go as no one had the OBD2 flashing figured out yet.

Coming from the Audi world, I do know that being able to flash and tune an ECU via the OBD2 port opens up a new realm of possibilities vs. having to flash a chip. Now that tuners are making OBD2 flashes it seems to be the way to go, but I am just curious to know if 'upgrading' to OBD2 is worth anything.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Im going OBD1 s52 WOOOO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
                              I understand when the swaps were being done a couple of years ago OBD1 was the way to go as no one had the OBD2 flashing figured out yet.

Coming from the Audi world, I do know that being able to flash and tune an ECU via the OBD2 port opens up a new realm of possibilities vs. having to flash a chip. Now that tuners are making OBD2 flashes it seems to be the way to go, but I am just curious to know if 'upgrading' to OBD2 is worth anything.
                              As of right now, the advantage to OBDII is diagnostics.

The disadvantage is that you have fewer tuning options (but excellent tuning IS available).

Basically, if you're chasing your tail with electrical issues, then it might be worth it to convert back to OBDII. Otherwise, stick with what you've got that is working.
                              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

OBD2 here, wouldn't have it any other way.
                                Originally posted by 325Projectz
                                don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                                :nice:

Comment

Working...
                                X