The E28 subwoofer...yes, it will happen,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The E28 subwoofer...yes, it will happen,

and it will be VERY limited production...but it must be done. You can thank JustinB, James Crivellone and JParkr, this is all their fault.

Guys, here is the deal: the E28 is a nightmare to build a proper box for.

My idea of proper is first and foremost 100% of all the bass energy must be directly sealed into the cabin. Second, it must align with the cars resonance nodes to achieve incredibly deep, clean bass. Ask anyone who has ever heard one of the boxes we build...they work. You get better sounding, cleaner, deeper, clearer, more dynamic and more detailed bass using less power and cheaper woofers and amps. All the magic is in the design, that is why we have the reputation we have. If it doesn't work, we won't do it, period.

They also fit well. Since you have an E28, go look in your trunk. See that step in the floor, right at the front edge of the trunk? Yeah, the box will be fitted to just clear that step, as the only way to seal the bass into the cabin is to fit the face of the box and the woofer against that wall. As always, there will be a gasket involved, but it is under the upholstery so you should never see it.

You already know there are no holes in your trunk, so if you are into this, be prepared for cutting. You will have to precisely cut 2 port holes in the rear deck and a woofer hole in the rear wall, right in the fold down armrest.

The box itself is actually taller than the opening of your trunk, so be prepared for a major headache installing this thing too...but...

Thunder, expect thunder. MAJOR thunder. The single 12" in James Crivellones crazy-silly E28 easily does 140db at 25Hz, sounding graceful and clean the whole time. If we did not have 3 ginormous amps in the trunk, he would have quite a bit of space left too. The bass easily plays down to 18Hz or so, it is just incredible.

So, here is the deal: these boxes are going to be $325 plus shipping. Yes, I know, more than you wanna spend...well, sorry, get over it. This is the only run I ever plan on building. Hopefully. The last one I did was supposed to be the last too, but I keep getting requests...so here it is.

Let me make this part clear though: I am ONLY building 100% committed, pre-paid orders. I am not ready to start building yet, no commitments beyond what I have said here, so don't get your wallets out yet! Watch here and BF.c in the next couple of weeks we will be announcing the build with pictures and stuff, so check back on this thread later if getting killer bass in your E28 is a goal of yours.

Like I said, I don't ever want to do these again. Yes, they are beautiful, yes they sound killer, yes they fit perfectly...but they are a major pain in the ass to build.

Shoot me an email if you are for sure interested: sales AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com is the best address to get hold of me. If you have questions, please ask them in this thread, I will do my best to get answers for you.

thanks!
    Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Guys, I get 10 PMs a month about these cars getting some serious bottom end and you know you need it...get on it!

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

why not a box that will fit under the rear seat?
      www.classicdaily.net
      1970 m42 swapped 2002
      1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
      https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
        +1, that's my plan. I really don't want to cut my M5 :(

Pics of jame's box luke?
        My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
          Originally posted by Eric View Post
          +1, that's my plan. I really don't want to cut my M5 :(
          You know, James E28 is going to get a pair of 8's under the rear seat in very simple boxes. Assuming he ever finds time to get the car back to me when I have time to work on it, that is. He is even busier than me.

I have a 24db/oct electronic crossover in a true bandpass, and 200 watts RMS per channel already wired for it...so the region between 70Hz and 200Hz will be under the rear seat, should make for some stunning midbass.

Right now there are wires run there, already live and tested, waiting on cabinets. The woofers are here too, so I really wanna finish it.

Tell you what, when the time is right (meaning late summer more than likely), I will revisit this thread and we shall see if it is worth the time and money. I know I will be building a couple sets if I do one, that is how I roll, generally.

In the meantime, the car I am modeling with gets a single 12 because the thing demands brutal but precise bass, so the single 12 is the proper answer. They play loud, they play low and sound really really good, like "holy shit" good, honest jaw dropping bass...so that is what I will be building...but I will remember your suggestion, so thanks!

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          Pics of jame's box luke?
          Eh, not much. it was 20 degrees in the middle of a nasty February, so we built the thing in spurts trying not to freeze.

I do have some stuff to upload, so I will post what I have.

Thanks, guys!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Oh, before I forget: the car we are doing is going to get a big-ass ADS 6 channel and an Orion 250HCCA bridged on a 2 ohm load (roughly 800 watts RMS) from a Fosgate Punch Power DVC 12. I want to see 140ish DB out of it, but since the front will be tri-amped CDT "Neo" 6.5's, SQ will be extraordinary. Yes, they will be going in custom door panels, just like I did on James car.

Closing SOON!

Comment

I had a box built about 15 years ago for my e28. Oh the memories. I used two rockford fosgate Punch DVC's with a custom sealed enclosure firing up into the cabin. I believe this was powered by a PPI PC series amp. It was a bit overkill but I was still a teenager. Sound like this is going to be a great build and I'm sure no one will be disappointed.
              ------------------------------------------------------
              1982 528e - Sold
              1987 325e - Totalled
              1990 325is - Sold
              1997 540i6 - Sold
              1991 325ic - Sold
              2013 335i - Sold
              2005 X5 - Daily
              1991 318is - *work in progress*

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse View Post
                I had a box built about 15 years ago for my e28. Oh the memories. I used two rockford fosgate Punch DVC's with a custom sealed enclosure firing up into the cabin. I believe this was powered by a PPI PC series amp. It was a bit overkill but I was still a teenager. Sound like this is going to be a great build and I'm sure no one will be disappointed.
                Hey man, thanks! Honestly enough, these are so efficient that this will likely be louder "in cabin" than a pair of 12s in a typical box. Getting the bass in the cabin is the main goal. Build a proper box behind it and it will sound great.

Here is a shot of the woofer installed. Unfortunately, it was so cold out I took very few pics. BTW: I trimmed the carpet I used to hide the metal, it looks much better than this:

The amps are huge for the car, and we tried to keep as much luggage space as we could:

The amps and the crossover rack look pretty impressive, but I am hoping to get the car back to make it prettier:

But, alas, no pics of the box itself.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Looks really nice and clean. Wish you were here in new York.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wonder if the same could be done to an e24 trunk, theyre similiar (e28 based years anyway)

Hmm

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                      Wonder if the same could be done to an e24 trunk, theyre similiar (e28 based years anyway)

Hmm
                      Bring one by when we announce the E28 box...might be kinda cool to have that in the lineup too.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Anyone interested in this should contact us.

Sales@germanaudiospecialties.com is best.

Thanks!
                        Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Tomorrow this will be all pretty:

Some of the installation:

Closing SOON!

Comment

Very pretty:

Very small:

the sound is awesome...

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                            X