Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice - Installing engine or front suspension first

Hi everybody,

Almost a year ago, a front suspension rebuild + a head and oil pan gasket job turned into a full drive train rebuild and I'm getting close to complete the engine and tranny and I need any advice on putting everything back in.

In particular I don't know whether if I should install the front suspension and steering rack first and then set the engine or get the engine positioned in the bay and while it is suspended by the hoist install the crossmember with steering rack and do the rest.

The later seems like the best option but I'm working under a portable tent and the roof is a little over 7 feet at most. I don't know if I'll have enough clearance to bring the engine in, if I do the suspension first. I'm using a 1.5 ton hoist from harbor freight with a leveler.

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8168.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	7249935

Thanks

Put everything on the subframe...And thrn drop the nose on to the assembly.

Drop car onto engine and front suspension.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
      Put everything on the subframe...And thrn drop the nose on to the assembly.

Drop car onto engine and front suspension.
      Thank you for your advice. It makes total sense to lower the front end. I can see how this will give me a better angle to bring in the engine with some added room on top.

Comment

+1 to above!

Put the subframe/engine on a pair of furniture dollies.

Comment

Working...
        X