Surging idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surging idle

I got the car as a project with a bad head gasket, when I got it I turned it on at it had a surging idle but I didn't think of anything since it had a bad head gasket anyway. The car is a 1984 325e

I replaced the head with a rebuilt 323i head, 325i intake manifold, 325i throttle body, replaced the head gasket, water pump, timing belt and timing belt tensioner. I finished installing everything today, turned the car on and it still has a surging idle.

What could be causing the surging idle?

Here is a video of the problem
    Last edited by Jimmyac28; 03-25-2017, 08:32 PM.

Originally posted by Jimmyac28 View Post
    I got the car as a project with a bad head gasket, when I got it I turned it on at it had a surging idle but I didn't think of anything since it had a bad head gasket anyway. The car is a 1984 325e

I replaced the head with a rebuilt 323i head, 325i intake manifold, 325i throttle body, replaced the head gasket, water pump, timing belt and timing belt tensioner. I finished installing everything today, turned the car on and it still has a surging idle.

What could be causing the surging idle?
    Have you cleaned your idle control valve

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
      Have you cleaned your idle control valve
      I have not cleaned it yet. I just took added a video of the issue

Comment

I have not cleaned it yet. I just took added a video of the issue
        I'd pop it out and clean it. Should only take 20 min and fixed my idle problems last week

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
          I'd pop it out and clean it. Should only take 20 min and fixed my idle problems last week
          I just cleaned the ICV and rechecked every vacuum hose and everything is tight but it still does the same thing. What else could it be?

Comment

Engines only rev up if they get more air, you got an issue somewhere that is letting more air in than it should.

Unplug the ICV and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
              Engines only rev up if they get more air, you got an issue somewhere that is letting more air in than it should.

Unplug the ICV and see what happens.
              I unplugged it and nothing happened

Comment

Now squeeze your boot hard and see it it's cracked.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

It's not cracked, I checked it before I installed it. Like I said the idle was surging before I I started taking the top end off to replace the head gasket. Could it be the idle control module that is bad? When I unplug the ICV nothing changes also smells like it's running rich

Comment

Any suggestions

Comment

Could be air in the cooling system.

Comment

Originally posted by Supratreo View Post
                        Could be air in the cooling system.
                        I bleed the cooling system already

Comment

drill a 1/8" hole in a dime and put it in the ICV hose to restrict the air flow and see if that makes a difference. If so, your ICV or that circuitry is the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlem View Post
                            drill a 1/8" hole in a dime and put it in the ICV hose to restrict the air flow and see if that makes a difference. If so, your ICV or that circuitry is the issue.
                            Which side of the ICV?

Comment

Which side of the ICV?
                              Shouldnt matter but I had a similar issue and the temp fix was to put that penny with a hole in it on the downstream side of the icv. The penny fits perfectly in there and will not be able to go anywhere.

Edit/fun fact: since I live in canada and the penny is not in circulation anymore i had to use a nickel. It worked the same just cost me a little bit more. I think it had some issues at cold starts, had to keep the throttle open but that was only when it was -25°C in Prince George. If I remember correctly I used a smaller hole than 1/4" though as that was idling a little bit too high once it was warmed up. 7/32" I think
                              Last edited by SteveO; 03-29-2017, 02:13 PM. Reason: Addition to post

Comment

Working...
                              X