Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY - ABS relay repair - Fix that ABS light

Hell All,

I did a quick write up on how to repair the ABS relay that always blows. Now you get the ABS light to go out.

Tell me what you think.
    Thanks,

Dan
    Matawan, NJ

I'll respond to this. I think its very helpful. My light has been on since I bought my 86 car and I just purchased a new relay. Cheers for the effort even if no one responded.

Comment

Nice little hack! (to bad I've ripped out my ABS stuff)
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Thanks guys, I figured some one would need it sooner or later.
        Thanks,

Dan
        Matawan, NJ

Comment

That fuse was put in to protect expensive electronics.. have the relay replaced.

Comment

emi325i, you are 100% correct and everyone should do that, and I clearly outline that. At 25-35 bucks a pop plus shipping it can get expensive to test to see if it is the relay that is the problem. This is a great way to verify the problem. What I do is keep an extra one with the solder fix Just in case my normal one blows.
            Thanks,

Dan
            Matawan, NJ

Comment

Or, you could get really creative and solder in a standard flat fuse instead of using a wire.

If the thing blows because you jump start the car... don't jump start. Invest the $35 bucks into a battery charger.

This is good to know. My ABS light is on and this will be my first step at diagnosing it. I have been rebuilding everything else and had not gotten to this yet. I have only had the car for a couple of months and have only test driven it so far.
              1987 E30 325is
              1999 E46 323i
              RIP 1994 E32 740iL
              oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Back to this thread.

I took my ABS relay out yesterday. I purchased a new one (25$). But out of curiosity, I took the old one apart. Sure as shit, that little wire was popped.
                Still hasnt fixed my ABS light yet, but I have a sensor with a cut wire. After that I hope its good. Thanks for hte writeup

Comment

Well I am glad it helped, ....sort of
                  Thanks,

Dan
                  Matawan, NJ

Comment

This guide was very helpful and fixed the abs light. I added an external fuse holder though so if the fuse blows again it will be easy to change.

Comment

I cant seem to find this relay. Any thoughts? I can see the control unit but no relay.

Comment

under the driver's side dash, see the big loom of wires between the steering column and the unit? there is a bundle of 6 wires, 2 brown, one green, the rest read. they go to a black plug shaped like a box with a cross on one side like this + the ABS relay should be attached.
                        '89 325i track sloot
                        '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

I did this to the race car and my abs light is now off! And I priced a new relay and they wanted to charge me 95 dollars for one so I grabbed 2 at the local junk yard for 4 dollars!
                          1995 Firebird Formula M6 sold :(
                          1989 BMW 325i Spec E30 race car
                          1989 BMW 325i Alpine White Daily Driver

Comment

for those who have added an external fuse
                            what amperage for the fuse did you use?

-
                            Project
                            Parts for Sale
                            Feedback
                            YouTube Channel

Comment

ABS relays are 25 bucks tops. Go to Auto Zone if you have to. Jeez.

Comment

Working...
                              X