• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i need to do this on my car. nice pics!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

so does anyone know if this will work on an early E30 with an external pump?

ultimately I wanna run the 255 and just dump the external, has anyone done this?
      Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
      past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Would also like to know this as well...
        sigpic

1986 325e

My other ride...The Titan of trucks!

Comment

Originally posted by gemztoy86 View Post
          Would also like to know this as well...
          i searched around and found a couple people that have upgraded their in-tank pump to a tre or walbro and kept their external with no problems....furthermore I believe taking out the external should have no ill effect either. I'm still planning on replacing my in-tank with a walbro 255 but i havent decided if I'll leave it or go single pump....hope that helps ^^^

edit: the early style E30s with external pumps have a weird pick-up assembly and require a bit more work to make either of the above-mentioned pumps work. you will need to brake the weld on the return line to the pick up line and straighten the former...
          Last edited by DÌEGØ; 07-27-2010, 11:53 PM.
          past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

wow thanks for this dyi iam going to save hella money(fuel pump went bad recently).called around for fuel pump for my e30 and got qoutes from $220 to $350.i also owned lots of mustangs and have stock fuel pumps and walbro 255.needless to say iam going to be on this asap.thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
              so does anyone know if this will work on an early E30 with an external pump?

ultimately I wanna run the 255 and just dump the external, has anyone done this?
              I just did that exact thing this weekend and it seems to be fine. The only thing that I could see as a problem is the wahlboro crapping out premature from trying to push through the other pump. But thats just my

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
                edit: the early style E30s with external pumps have a weird pick-up assembly and require a bit more work to make either of the above-mentioned pumps work. you will need to brake the weld on the return line to the pick up line and straighten the former...
                I didnt do it this way I hooked it up normally, then made a few bends in both lines and cut a section off the feed line for some clearance. The only modification that I made to the pump was I pulled the factory wiring connector off the pump assembly and ran new wires through the hole and filled the little hole with gas tank putty.

Comment

good to know, thanks!

Comment

what's the point of this? does it allow for more pressure or is it just a cheap alternative?
                    1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                    1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                    1974 2002tii / stock
                    2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Cheap alternative.

Also I used zipties.

Comment

Originally posted by homegrone30 View Post
                        I didnt do it this way I hooked it up normally, then made a few bends in both lines and cut a section off the feed line for some clearance. The only modification that I made to the pump was I pulled the factory wiring connector off the pump assembly and ran new wires through the hole and filled the little hole with gas tank putty.
                        I have an early dual pump setup and the in-tank died. I installed the TRE pump in place of the old one, but haven't tested it yet (still got motor work up front to address).

Can you explain this fix a little more? Not sure what you mean with feed line...mine is still in place. What did you bend and what did you cut off?
                        sigpic

Comment

Seriously, stay away from the TRE pumps. i've run a couple of them that both failed on different cars in short order. TRE's customer service was horrible and they didn't honor their warranty. Ive run quite a few more walbro's without fail for years, they are more than worth the extra 20$ or so.

-Dan
                          -Dan

Comment

thanks for the write up... just got done doing it.. went pretty smooth. good pictures too.

Comment

bought some cheap 255 lmph fuel pump that interchanges to ther walbro. was $55 shipped will install and take pics.
                              Originally posted by 325Projectz
                              don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                              :nice:

Comment

Did my install and YaY! The 89 325is that sat dead for 10+ years is alive!!
                                Here is what I used that came with the kit. $55 shipped, not a Wal but performs the same.
                                Here's the pics, notice the suction hole on the high flow compared to stock.
                                (Sry phone pics)

Notice the opening in the bracket needs to be trimmed away to accept the larger opening.

finished setup, I chose to unsolder the old wires and solder my new ones in, you may want to splice the existing wires.
                                Originally posted by 325Projectz
                                don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
                                :nice:

Comment

Working...
                                X