headliner options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headliner options

I pulled the factory headliner out to remove the sunroof cassette and I need to know what my options are for a new headliner? The one I pulled out was like a skin over some metal supports. I refuse to try and reattach something similar to that if it's even possible.

Did any e30s come with the (to me) traditional foam one piece headliner? If not what are my options?

As far as I know all e30s came with the same type of headliner although some had the oem black headliner. Ive been thinking about pulling my headliner and trying to make a custom one that is the foam one piece like you said, but I haven't really looked into all that much.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

The e30 headliner is great.... why would you want to replace it with foam that will sag eventually. I wish my e34 had a headliner like the e30 does.

Comment

Cut a big square out of your favorite carpeting and glue it in, or use the original one.

Comment

The hanging one, even though it's a pain, really is a pretty good design. I'd have an upholstery shop make a new one or get bulk fabric and cut your own out. If you don't want to hang it, you may be able to find some thin foam at a hardware store or something and glue it in. Aerosol spray glue works fine with the headliners I've installed.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

The OE headliner is a good design with the 2 runners that keep it in place. It is a bitch to get out in one piece though, without ripping it. I imagine installation is a PTIA as well. As mentioned above, the only place you can find an OE non-M black headliner is from a 318is that had the 'check option' of the black instead of standard white. They are hard to come by, and have been NLA for quite sometime. However, World Upholstery sells E30 headliner material and I believe you can get it in black.

I'm in the process of removing the OE black headliner from my 318is before it goes to the boneyard and getting this thing out without tearing any part is not a fun job.

Comment

Stu - did you get it out ok? I pulled the oem 89 325i headliner to see how it's installed, wasn't fun but doable.
              Does it have a part number by any chance? I am having trouble finding a part number for oem black sunroof headliner on realoem.

Thanks
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                Stu - did you get it out ok? I pulled the oem 89 325i headliner to see how it's installed, wasn't fun but doable.
                Does it have a part number by any chance? I am having trouble finding a part number for oem black sunroof headliner on realoem.

Thanks
                The OE black headliner is p/n 51441959976 and the sunroof piece is the same but ending in 979. I haven't worked on the black car in a few days but last time I was stuck on getting the rails out. The sunroof is retracted which may pose a problem since I don't have the crank or any of those parts in place. I didn't consider any of this when I put the car away, doh! Since I need the car gone asap, I might just cut the roof off and get the headlining out that way. The headlining material is brittle in some places and will tear very easily if you're not careful. I'm really trying to take my time getting this thing out so that it can be fitted to another car and still look totally OEM.

Comment

51441959976 - comes up as only $78.13 and 51441959979 (Roof - Sunroof - Frame - M3
                  M3 1984 - 1991) or (HD.LINING.SR ) as $104.

Was black oem headliner available for both, Slicktop and Sunroof cars?

I might just buy it new.
                  Last edited by Jean; 02-07-2010, 06:12 PM.

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Stu - couldn't PM you as your inbox is full.

I just wanted to confirm these part numbers:

Are you 100% sure 51441959976 is the main headliner in black for a sunroof e30 (non m3) , and the 51441959979 is the black piece for the sunroof slider itself?

thanks!

Comment

^what? I had given up on factory parts. I thought they were long gone?
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Jean, I posted those p/n's based on RealOEM....they should be NLA. RealOEM and the factory parts fische list a few different p/n's for OEM 'schwarz' headliner pieces (main/sunroof). Let me make some calls and I'll let you know.

Comment

just get one from an upholsterererer, rschiering makes them i know, i got mine from creative options (tricked323 i think)

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I made my own...

1987 325is: 495whp/400ft-lb
                            UPDATED 03/12/10!: RB26DETT Swapped E30

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                              ^what? I had given up on factory parts. I thought they were long gone?
                              OK, got some info from my dealer. Some pieces appear with a price but are actually NLA, none of the black OE parts are available anymore. Unless you find NOS somewhere.

RealOEM and the current parts book list 4 p/n's related to the 'schwarz' headliner.

51 44 195 9976 - Black Headliner (listed with price for dealer to order, but then shows NLA)

51 44 195 9979 - Black Headliner sunroof piece (also listed with price to order, but NLA)

51 95 195 9689 - Black Headliner (1500mm...a roll of material? NLA)

51 92 225 0903 - Black Headliner (replacement for 9689) NLA

So the actual OE parts might come up as available to order (with a price, like Jean found) once the P/N is entered....but after a few more keystrokes the guy at the parts counter sees that they are NLA.

Another option is World Upholstery, they sell black headliners for E30's, amongst other products. http://www.worlduph.com/bmw5.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X