My 91 318i kind of sounds like a diesel when running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 91 318i kind of sounds like a diesel when running

I just bought a 91 318i. It sort of sounds like a diesel when it runs/drives. It has 178k on it.

Would this be from exhaust? It doesn't seem rusted out, or would it more than likely be from the timing chain tensioner piston?

It is likely a chain tensioner issue. My does the same only during a cold start and only for a second or so.

Comment

u are having the same problem as i am..look at my post and watch my video and see if it does sound like it..i took the tensioner part and its pretty much fucked..

Comment

It's the tensioner piston. Replace it now for $40 & 5 minutes of work, or spend $600 on parts and 20 hours fixing the damage later if you don't!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

^ This. Solid advice here boys ... do it now or pay for it later.
          Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
            It's the tensioner piston. Replace it now for $40 & 5 minutes of work, or spend $600 on parts and 20 hours fixing the damage later if you don't!
            yes indeed, happened to me but I had to replace timing guides too and so and so!!

fix it nao!!
            sigpic
            HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
            " enjoy the show "

Comment

I need to put this one on the list. im getting the "diesel" noise aswell at 183k. i have a feeling that my chain is not in the best shape :/

Comment

I just ordered my tensioner

Comment

Hmm now school is out I want to do this.. Any write ups?

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

How many times is this going to be covered before people wake up and search??

This sub-forum is in desperate need of some stickies.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryann View Post
                      How many times is this going to be covered before people wake up and search??

This sub-forum is in desperate need of some stickies.
                      hahaha i know right...there a few write ups on it but they havent been stickied yet..dunno y

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                        He speaks the truth, I let my tensioner go and it took out most of my guides. 300 dollars and hours of work later. Wish I had fixed the tensioner sooner

"If your timing chain tensioner is more than 4 years old you should replace it too"
                        http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/318istimingchain.html
                        I let mine go for 8+ years and paid the price

Comment

Originally posted by thebutcher37 View Post
                          Hmm now school is out I want to do this.. Any write ups?
                          Simple, take a 19mm wrench, find a bolt that fits this wrench size....it is located on the engine block, just above the a/c compressor.

One the bolt out, replace the inside part with the one you already received from your BMW parts supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by mr ilia View Post
                            Simple, take a 19mm wrench, find a bolt that fits this wrench size....it is located on the engine block, just above the a/c compressor.

One the bolt out, replace the inside part with the one you already received from your BMW parts supplier.
                            Ohhh... I thought there was more to it!

thanks for pointing it out.

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Desktop Dave from M42 club advocates caution when replacing a tensioner in an unknown condition timing gear setup. I would suggest that you start saving for an entire timing gear/chain overhaul, if you want to keep the car that is. Also, be sure to read up on installing the piston, I cannot remember if it is to be installed compressed or extended, and what the break in procedure is exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X