best springs for the 318is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best springs for the 318is?

i have sport oe currently on the car, but they are a little worn out, and squeak a lot. im trying to see which are good springs for the 318is, not looking for coilovers since its my daily.

opinions, or pictures of drop of other springs on the 318is?

H&R Race/Billys w/ E90 drizzop hizzats.

Also, this is an odd section to ask this question. This subforum is for the M42 motor. I would have put this in the suspension subforum.

Comment

true i thought of putting there but slipped my mind, i currently have bilstein sports, and hr oe..i drove a 318is with race springs and bilsteins, it felt really stiff though

Comment

I have hr sports with billie sports. 75D bushes though out, Gc tourning plates and not springs pads. Seems to be a nice balance berween, stiff race and standard. Though with the solid bushes and no spring pads, it is still a ruff ride.

Maybe look a vogland springs they rate in between the hr sports and race.
        sigpic

Comment

Im on gc daily driven softer springs no regrets
          Originally posted by bmwm42
          PNW vulture pm me for parts
          Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Originally posted by ///digitalme View Post
            true i thought of putting there but slipped my mind, i currently have bilstein sports, and hr oe..i drove a 318is with race springs and bilsteins, it felt really stiff though
            race springs are pretty aggressive, but imo, great for spirited DD duty. It depends on what the roads are like around you.

That said, I rallied my car w/ H&R Race, and it survived. i wouldn't suggest it though. ;)

Another w/ different wheels for reference.

But now my car has a more appropriate ride height.

Comment

i got H&R Race with billy sports....poly bushings everywhere except motor mounts and I love it
              1991 318is ---230K - DD
              1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
              so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

ok so its either hr race or vogtland springs...

thanks for the input i really appreciate it :D

Comment

The "best" ones for the 318iS, if you use it as a DD, are the stock ones IMO. Toss in some Bilstein HD shocks and get a proper wheel alignment (well, a front toe alignment since that's all you can adjust on these cars...don't forget that because you can always haggle the price down at shops). I ran H&R sport springs and Bilstein Sport shocks for 7 years, and it looked great, but became a pain the ass driving around town (lowered car, duh). I was too cheap to get an alignment, and when I went back to stock springs + Bilstein HD shocks + alignment in 2006, it actually handled better, while being more comfortable and never having issues in driveways.

I have a similar opinion of poly bushings on a street car. I ran them for close to 8 years. I THOUGHT that they were better than stock, only because they were replacing blown out stock ones from 1991. When I got tired of the noise and roughness, I put in all stock rubber and I swear it actually handles BETTER on the road now since the compliant rubber parts can absorb bumps and cracks more effectively, allowing me to glide over them. Odd as it may seem, BMW did an incredible job on these cars, and most of the available suspension bolt-ons are really just compromises. This is all within the context of a street car. If it is not a DD and only sees a well maintained track, mod away.

This is just the advice of someone that has been farting around with the 318iS for 12 years and tried every bolt-on under the sun at some point. I actually sort of like the stock "take me off-road" look of the E30 lol.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I have a 1991 318is that has billies and tokico lowering springs.

I know, right! I never would have bought frickin' tokico springs. Sheesh.

Odd thing is, the car really handles pretty damn well and rides pretty OK too.

I'm comparing it to a fully prepped autoX e30 that used to be my daily driver.
                    STX e30
                    No. 10/110 STX: 1989 325i
                    DD: 1991 318is slicktop

SHAZAM, GOMER, LOOK AHEAD.

Comment

right, stock is best for comfort, hands down. But if you are willing to deal with a little stiffness and strategic driving to avoid potential disasters, H&R Race/Billies are a lot of fun around the twisties.

Comment

Originally posted by 110stx
                        I have a 1991 318is that has billies and tokico lowering springs.

I know, right! I never would have bought frickin' tokico springs. Sheesh.
                        Ha. Likewise. (billi sports and tokicos) (also embarrassed about the tokicos)

Full OE/rubber rebuild with exception of IE poly rear subframe bushes.

For a street car - I am WAY happy with it. Responsive - without being harsh or jarring.
                        -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Im on IE stage 3's & bilstein sports love the ride.

& then on my other wheels but they originally weren't meant for this car so i need more tire.

Comment

I have ground controls and Bilstein sports running pretty soft rates and I'm very happy with them. Running soft AKG poly in the diff and subframe, hard poly CABs that will eventually be replaced with M3 solid rubber ones, and stock RTABs. It used to be poly everything, but as I've gone through and replaced things, I've found myself moving back to some of the stock parts, and this is on a car that sees a fair amount of track and autocross time. I have had softer springs, but I prefer a stiffer ride, even on the road, so some of that comes down to preference. A good suspension can be stiff but still compliant, if that makes any sense.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I have a Frankenstein set up,
                              front: IE3 springs with e90 drop hats and bilstein HD struts inserts
                              back: H&R sport springs bilstein shocks with 20mm spacers.
                              I love the look and the ride is perfect. I can still DD and I rarely scrape

Transaction Feedback: -click here
                              [e30: '91 318is coupe|brilliantrot||e36: '98 318ti|fern green|California top|M-Tech]
                              [URL="http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=300453"]

Comment

Working...
                              X