No announcement yet.

Violent Clunking/Vibration from Rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm probably going to do the CV axles this weekend, and disable the e-brake while I'm at it.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

I vote CV axles. One (or both) of them is likely binding occasionally causing the problem. Might have a broken cage.

Comment

To be fair to the shop, they did confirm that the CV axles are totally shot, even if they aren't necessarily causing the clunking. Can't confirm since they didn't drive it, but I'm really leaning in that direction. The tech made it sound like they were held together with sand and rusty metal, and the boots have been missing, so it seems likely.

I'm not actually displeased with the shop even though they charged me a diagnosis fee without driving it. It would have been nice for them to bend the rules, but one of the rear tires IS in bad shape and I can't fault them for operating "by the book". The tech was cool and we ended up driving my car around their parking lot looking for sounds when I went to pick it up, even though his boss was kind of looking over his shoulder like WTF. Also offered to test drive my car at no charge if I got better tires.

They did pull the "we can't give the car to you until we install new tires" bit, to which I did my angry customer impression until finally they called me back and said I could pick it up. I brought my parents truck to a place and they pulled the same shit about the suspension - next time it happens I'm just going to laugh since I know now that them saying that is really just a REQUEST, and they have no legal backing to actually hold your car.

As for why I am driving on a corded tire, well, buying 4 new tires for these 14" basketweaves, which I only plan on keeping until I step up to 15s, would be throwing good money after bad, and I'm cheap like that.
        Last edited by c0rbin9; 03-13-2017, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Nice of you to leave out that your tires are shot. A lot of weird road noises come from bad tires. Being the cheap guy you are you'll end up spending more money on repairs to the other guy's car when you have a blow out and side swipe him. This is assuming you're driving this car on a regular basis. If you're just rolling it around the garage then ignore the cheap shot.

Comment

I don't disagree with what you're saying. It isn't the tires though.

Still, it doesn't make sense to buy tires that you're only going to use for a few miles. If you really want to argue about it, IMO it's poor financial decisions like that that are the reason that a lot of car guys think project cars are so expensive, when really if you're just smart, and buy good parts, it's not all that bad.

Comment

Well, the box from ECS Tuning arrived damaged and containing only 1 CV axle, with a notice from FedEx that the other one had been lost. I installed the one they shipped today on the passenger side and it seems to have fixed the problem. The old CV axle was in terrible shape, ball bearings falling out - was definitely the problem.

They said they'd send the other one and refund my overnight shipping, but it's still going to take time. It wasn't packaged that well so I'm not surprised that 16 lb. CV axles flopping around in a cardboard box fell out during shipping.

On the plus side, the install was easy, even for a wrench monkey like me - at least if you bought the full CV axle assembly. Jacking up the trailing arm helped clearance the axle between the strut and the spring during removal and installation. The axle install is literally 2 sides unbolted - 6 bolts on the diff side and the big axle nut on the other side. Make sure to break the axle nut loose with the car on the ground as the brakes aren't strong enough to hold it. Only real quandary I had was the 6 bolts went in different amounts, so they have different lengths of thread showing. Not sure why.
              Last edited by c0rbin9; 03-18-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I recently bought CV's from RMEuro-
                they wrapped about 40 feet of bubble wrap around them,
                then encased it all in packing tape. Probably
                2 rolls. The boxes inside the cocoon were pretty
                beat up inside, but the CVs travelled fine.

Glad that fixed your problem. Much easier than ring gear bolts.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

You're not kidding man. Was way easier than I thought.

Sidenote: my name is Toby too. :D

Comment

Anyone have experience with FEQ CV axles?

Comment

c0rbin, which CV axle brand did you buy? I may be doing this soon ('91 318is) and am looking for recommendations. thanks

Comment

I ended up buying FEQ from ECS Tuning for $100 each. FEQ was the only cheap brand I could find without horror story reviews. That could be just because of lack of reviews, or maybe they are better than other Chinese axles, I don't know. For what it's worth, they seemed to fit just fine. FEQ are also available from Advance Auto Parts.

If I wanted OEM quality I would look at a local axle rebuilder to rebuild your originals or get GKNs from FCPEuro for $275 each.

Comment

Just take the $4500 and buy another car,

then you have two.

Everyone needs a pair.

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Installed a feq axle on a friends car ~a year ago, no issues. When you consider the fact you can buy 5 FEQ axles for the price of 1 oem axle....its hard to go wrong.
                            Current:
                            1989 325i
                            1988 M3
                            1987 325ic
                            Past:
                            2001 330ci
                            2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                              I ended up buying FEQ from ECS Tuning for $100 each. FEQ was the only cheap brand I could find without horror story reviews. That could be just because of lack of reviews, or maybe they are better than other Chinese axles, I don't know. For what it's worth, they seemed to fit just fine. FEQ are also available from Advance Auto Parts.

If I wanted OEM quality I would look at a local axle rebuilder to rebuild your originals or get GKNs from FCPEuro for $275 each.
                              Hey man did the CV fix it? My car just did this to me. Was violently going bang bang bang pretty steady.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X