Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M42 "reseal". What else should be done while in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 "reseal". What else should be done while in there?

My timing covers, crank seal, and upper oil pan are leaking enough oil that they all need to be replaced. 137K miles on the car and prior to the year I've owned it I don't have much maintenance history. I've replaced the "mess under the intake" with all OEM hoses, clamps, and gaskets as well as the oil filter housing gasket/o-ring and valve cover gasket + bolts/rubber washers. So that side of the top side and the intake side of the engine are leak free.

I'm having a shop do the work. I've cross checked their parts list with realoem.com and everything is included to do the upper/lower pans and timing case.

While it's all apart should I have anything else replaced? Chain + guides necessary? (The thermostat, housing, and coolant hoses coming off the radiator will be replaced).
    Last edited by mike.bmw; 03-05-2017, 04:55 AM.

The plastic waterpipe and o-ring comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
      The plastic waterpipe and o-ring comes to mind.
      Are you referring to the plastic coolant pipe under the intake manifold? If so, that's already been replaced. I pretty much replaced everything under the intake manifold.

Comment

Yes, that's what I was referring to. Rougetoaster will probably chime in on the updated timing case housing that does away with the idle sprocket. New oil pump gear and new oil pressure relief valve. Check that the crank sprocket rubber is good and its teeth are not pointy. Profile gasket is a given if you do the housing. And don't forget the crush washer for the new chain tensioner.
        Last edited by uturn; 03-05-2017, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
          Yes, that's what I was referring to. Rougetoaster will probably chime in on the updated timing case housing that does away with the idle sprocket. New oil pump gear and new oil pressure relief valve. Check that the crank sprocket rubber is good and its teeth are not pointy. Profile gasket is a given if you do the housing. And don't forget the crush washer for the new chain tensioner.
          Gotcha, thanks!

It's hard to know where to stop. When I did the mess under the intake, I replaced pretty much everything. It was a fun and rewarding project.

This time around I'm paying a shop to do the work. The work is probably within my capability, but between family, job, and various other things I don't have the time or patience to tackle this myself. So seeing that I'm paying for the labor to tear it all down, part of me is thinking that they may as well replace everything in there. But obviously that gets expensive rather quickly. :)

Comment

The idler, certainly, and the m44 tensioner, if you haven't done that.

And the plastic chain guides- they're cheap, and they get brittle.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
              I did the m44 tensioner a few weeks ago which fixed some rattling at startup.

I'll look into the idler and chain guides. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t

uhhh where are cheap chain guides? those bastards are a couple hundred dollars everywhere I look.

would love to find good replacements that don't cost as much as a whole m42

Comment

Originally posted by Sladek View Post
                  uhhh where are cheap chain guides? those bastards are a couple hundred dollars everywhere I look.

would love to find good replacements that don't cost as much as a whole m42
                  If someone knows that would be amazing. Otherwise you are probably looking at $350 for guides alone, definitely not cheap, but could be worth the investment vs having your engine explode.

Comment

I think by cheap he meant, not a quality piece from factory and they wear down over time.

Comment

Originally posted by iPee View Post
                      I think by cheap he meant, not a quality piece from factory and they wear down over time.

womp womp haha you're probably right

Comment

the idler sprocket teeth are always pointy, even the brand new OE part
                        1991 318is ---230K - DD
                        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Gkwan View Post
                          If someone knows that would be amazing. Otherwise you are probably looking at $350 for guides alone, definitely not cheap, but could be worth the investment vs having your engine explode.
                          I know 2 people who have the M44 chain tensioner rail for sale for ~$50. The M44 chain tensioner rail will fit in the M42 e30 and M42 e36 timing case if you purchase the fastening hardware for the M44 as well. They are both M8 bolts, however BMW changed the hardware just a tad.

I just installed the M44 chain tensioner rail in my timing case without issue.

I also know someone who has the M44 right timing guide rail as well. The M44, again, is the same part number as the M42 timing guide rail and it will install cleanly. I think he's asking ~$75 but you will have to ask. I can get you his contact.

Otherwise you can expect to pay ~$300 for both of these items, new.

Comment

Oh, sorry, I mean the smaller, upper and lower 'why are they in there' guides,
                            not the big, fuckall expensive ones. Those, I try to find at junkyards.

t
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                            X