Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody done timing chains on a Ford 4.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody done timing chains on a Ford 4.0?

Had a co-worker approach me today about a possible side job. I've been thinking about getting back into it for a while, so I'm open to consideration.

That said, the truck is a 03 Explorer with the 4.0. Dealer told him it's the rears, which means the engine has to come out.

Anybody done one of these? Trying to get a feel for pricing. I'm honestly leaning around $1000-$1250 for labor + parts. Too much? Too little? I no longer have access to alldata to see book times, so I'm just taking a guess here.

I'd honestly rather the guy just get a low mile salvage engine and I'd tell him $800 for R&R. I hadn't planned to get into big side jobs (not enough time really), but then again everybody has a price.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

i do know its a lot of work. why not call a random shop and ask the book rate? or just call and ask how much it would cost to do the entire job parts/labor.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Timing chain on a 4.0 is probably one of the most pain in the ass jobs I've done.. I won't do another one. I charged way more than that too. I'd charge that plus parts
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Pm'd you

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

happened to my friends mustang, guess similar circumstances, motor out etc, was going to do it for him, but thankfully he sold it, pretty happy as I've seen it done in my own shop, huge pain in the ass, reminds me of the Audi V8 chains, hope I never have to do one of those

Comment

Working...
          X