e46 cluster in an e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e46 cluster in an e30

I have an e46 cluster from a 330i. I would like to know if anyone has wired one up in an e30 yet? the plugs are similar to that of an e30 cluster, except for the plugs behind the temp and fuel guage.

The electrical on that cluster is COMPLETELY different,

You may be able to work with teh gauges seperately, but consider the stock mobo useless as it has nothing to really interface to.

Plus the all the gauges would need to be recalibrated.

and finally, how do you plan to actually make it look decent/fit into the car?

Comment

I'm not interested in getting it fully functional i just want the guages to work and some of the signal lights to work. How would I go about recalibrating the guages? I will worry about cosmetics if i can get the cluster to function. If you had them out of the cars and side by side you would see that they arent very different in size so it wouldn't take much to make a bezel to fill in the gaps.

Comment

Not too bad eh? If I can get it functional I can make a temporary bezel for it and later on have one made of CF thats if I can make this thing functional.

Comment

What year 330i is it out of? I can dig up the schematics for you

also what year is your car?

Comment

What are you going to be doing about the odometer?

No way to reset it, and even if you can make the input work it will never read correctly.

Looks like shit IMO, way too "modern"

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
              Looks like shit IMO, way too "modern"
              I agree. It doesn't fit in with the car AT ALL.

But you go ahead and try to mount it in there, let alone make it work, and let us know how that goes.

Comment

Thats a Z3 cluster, not an E46 cluster.

The way the cluster interacts with the rest of the car and gets its information is totally different; it's not just simple input and output signals like the E30. Later cars share info on a communication bus and that cluster wont run without some sort of interface to mimic that.
                Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Why would you even want that? You could just get the chrome rings for the E30 cluster and add the newer style needles to the gauges like Jordan did if you want to update the look.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

12 year bump

Small test run on the German Autobahn after finishing fine tuning the ECUEngine: S54B32 with Siemens MSS54HP ECU without EWS3.3, deleted DSC link, deleted se...

Comment

2 year bump on a 12 year bump

Sorry it took me almost 2 years to respond to your 12 year bump, but thanks for the vid link. Pretty sure I still have that cluster somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                      X