What is needed to rebuild brake calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is needed to rebuild brake calipers

This is probably a simple question, but I am overseas and trying to order the parts prior to my getting home. I want to powder coat my calipers (practice before trying it on my vette)

I assume there are rubber seals on the pistons. Are there any other rebuild pieces I should consider replacing?
    Porsche-BMW... All the same, right?

It is better and cheaper to buy the remans.

And yes, there are more than just a seal to replace while you are in there. The bleed screws are wise, as their orifice gets gummed. The dust boots. Check the guide pins. Make sure the piston is clean, smooth, free of defects.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

If you like red calipers, you can buy pre-powdercoated rebuilt calipers from RockAuto. Really cheap too.

I just pulled it up for my 89 325is. A rebuilt red-powdercoated front caliper is only $36 (Girling) with a core charge of $20. I don't see the rear on there right now, but I do recall seeing them. Maybe under another model.

Anyway, I sandblasted and powdercoated both my front and rear calipers. I saved money vs someone else doing it, but it took a good amount of time. If I had known about these, I would have just bought them finished instead.
      P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Doesn't BMW still sell a rebuild kit?
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Honestly, remanned calipers are so much easier to deal with than rebuilding yourself. Some companies don't do a great job though. I had my rear calipers replaced with reman units from NuGeon. They sent one to my mechanic with a chunk broken off which prevented the spring clip from being installed. They did send another one, and the other seized up after 30K km. Had it replaced under warranty, the replacement still had the same issue.

I wanted to do my fronts as well, and found a more local source here in Ontario - John Stuart Power Brake - http://www.johnstuartpowerbrake.com/

I got all four calipers from them. I've had their remanufactured units for over 1.5 years in my E30 and I've been very impressed with their work.
          Estoguy
          1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
            Honestly, remanned calipers are so much easier to deal with than rebuilding yourself.
            Hmmm. Why? Not busting your balls - but I rebuilt some, and it was so easy a monkey could do it.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Rebuilding the calipers is not difficult as there is only an o-ring, and dust boot to replace. With ATE calipers replace the guide bushings also. It is also a good idea to replace the soft caliper hoses.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Theres a shop near me that overhauls calipers, drop them off, repainted, new stainless steel pistons all new seals, ready to bolt back on, around 250aud last time.

Ive rebuilt them myself too, i think the bentley manual is pretty good? seal kits not that exciting, just have to be very careful cause you are playing with brakes...

Comment

Working...
                X