Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish my e30 came with _____ from the factory.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rust

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      More room in the backseat that would make for less awkward moments
      That's why VWs had ankle straps.

Comment

Originally posted by MAXELHOFF View Post
        Reverse not next to 1st gear.
        Eh? I'm rather fond of reverse being next to 1st. Can't really think of anything wrong with it...

Comment

6 speed transmission

Comment

M-tech II kit, and 5 lug

Comment

Originally posted by Cliche Guevara View Post
              Eh? I'm rather fond of reverse being next to 1st. Can't really think of anything wrong with it...
              He probably accidentally put it into reverse at a red light.
              The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
              Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
              2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                He probably accidentally put it into reverse at a red light.
                That thought crossed my mind, but it takes an easily noticeable amount of extra effort to notch it over into reverse than it does 1st gear. I don't see how one could accidentally put it in reverse instead of 1st unless you literally had never driven a stick before.

Comment

Ive messed up reverse when its below fifth too and its worse than messing up on reverse when you are looking for first.

So its a better design it just takes getting used to.

Comment

That thought crossed my mind, but it takes an easily noticeable amount of extra effort to notch it over into reverse than it does 1st gear. I don't see how one could accidentally put it in reverse instead of 1st unless you literally had never driven a stick before.
                    My mom accidentally did that to my dad's e30 in the early 90's. It can be confusing if you're driving different manual cars at the same time (she was) with different shifter feels. Also, if the shift bushings are worn, it may be less of a noticeable push to get into reverse.
                    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I like vw's push->1st=reverse mechanism..less likely to get confused and it takes slightly less effort to do.
                      sigpic

Comment

Not noticeable enough visually if the car is in first or reverse. Think parallel parking. I have to engage the clutch to find out what gear the car is in. That is BS. That being said, my center console is pretty loose. I believe most e30's have a synchronized reverse.? Just thought of this- I was in a e30 in Germany and dude popped the car in reverse at 45mph or so, spun the engine up to say 5K and dropped the clutch. Wheels spinning backwards...going forward. On dry concrete!
                        Attached Files
                        grain of salt:p

http://https://youtu.be/H8gOAzYchAE:ot:

Comment

ya the getrag 260 has a synchronized reverse. which is almost everyone right?

On the other hand I think the getrag 240 does not.

well I have done what youre saying to a few cars it doesnt stop your car what it does is tear a layer off your clutch and slow it down a touch/ burns the clutch fluid instantly

I have done that mistake to a couple cars going from 3rd to reverse instead of 4th.

The other mistake the bmw layout causes is a pain backing out or parallel parking missing 1st and reverse.... but no damage involved.

So I declare it a more intelligent layout.
                          Last edited by stamar; 04-09-2012, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Idk why, but I've never had a problem knowing if I'm in reverse or 1st in either my E30 or my E21 (which has shot bushings and a pretty loose center consol). I'm not trying to act like I'm the greating with a stick, it just hasn't ever been an issue. Maybe it's because I've only ever driven manual BMWs my whole life...

Comment

Plastic bumpers

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                              Sounds like you need a massage.
                              Originally posted by kpeng
                              Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Originally posted by Hey-U View Post
                                6 speed transmission
                                Yep. I can't tell you the number of times I've unconsciously gone to shift into 6th.
                                1993 Laguna M50 "Helen"
                                1987 M20 325i "Ron Burgundy"
                                1987 M20 325e "Billy"

"He who shall be last shall be sideways and smiling." - Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                                X