Seats for track use - vintage look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seats for track use - vintage look?

Interior of my e30 is stock, but I would like to update for track use w/ better safety equipment. For my purposes, this would include a roll bar (VSR, etc.) but leave the interior intact, and also seats that can accept harnesses,etc.

I don't like the look of the interior w/ the new Recaros, Corbeaus, etc. - does anyone know of seats that maintain a decent/vintage look (Porsche Recaro R/RS type?) but are "real" and can be used as part of a harness/roll bar/seat system? Not for racing, but HPDE safety is what I'm after.
    1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
    1998 M3 (4dr, 5sp, TCKline) (sold)
    2002 325i (sold)
    2009 X5 3.0si

corbeau offers a few nice seats that might be what you're looking for and their seats are pretty affordable too.

maybe something like this?

Over 50 years of providing the world with the best in aftermarket Street Seats, Racing Seats, Off Road Seats, Jeep Seats, Suspension seats, Seat Brackets, Harness Belts and more.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

thx for the link - I like the look of these, but I'm not sure they have a version that would accommodate harnesses, etc. Anyone have experience w/ these?
      1985 325e, 74k miles (S52 w/ OBD1, Bistein Sports, H&R Sports, IE sways, 3.23 LSD, TD 15x7/Star Specs, Euro bumper conversion)
      2002 325i (sold)
      2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

from a miata forum, but some interesting ideas:
        2002 325i (sold)
        2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

ahhhh.....this is right up my alley.

You can get a more vintage looking seat like say in an older r/rs.....but they will not be as safe as the newer seats. That being said..most vintage racers use newer seats while on track...and change out for shows or street drives......that being said...

classiccarseats has your shizzle....

and vintage seats.....$$$$$$$

btw..you do realize that an r or rsr style seat is way more vintage than an e30?....the newer seats are quite appropriate for our lil boxes...

do u want a 1 pc or 2 pc seat?
          Last edited by JRKOUPE; 12-10-2014, 02:00 PM.
          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

get some Scheel seats if you want your seats to be about 2 decades older-school than your car.
            cars beep boop

Comment

ol skool scheels rock.... but no harness holes...and crazy hard to find.....and...$$$$$$$$...but you can try to find that vintage 1 pc race seat...itll be old..and not overly safe....!
              Attached Files
              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

The Corbeau GTS 2 would fit best looks wise in an e30. The other one is more of a 60's or 70's stile seat.
                You can also get the slot for a crotch belt (5 point) added to the seat for another $35. You can run the shoulder straps between the head rest bars. I have also seen harness adapters that bolt onto the head rest bars and hold the shoulder straps much like the holes in a racing seat. I cant remeber where I saw those.
                sigpic
                "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Here you go
                  As sport rules changes and new safety features are required, GTS Classics created the trips harness device, which ensures that shoulder harness is guided.
                  sigpic
                  "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Recaro SRD

Before we built my dedicated vintage racecar, I was running an E30 318is for HPDE use. It was a mixed street/track car with what I felt was a reasonable compromise for dual use.

I chose Recaro SRD seats, Willians "formula-style" harness, and a welded 4-point rollbar with removable harness bar. With a reclining seat and removable harness bar, you could easy fit all 4 track tires in the backseat. That left the whole trunk free to fill with plenty of track gear for two people: tools, helmets, bags, folding chairs, spares, pop-up tent, cooler, etc.

The SRDs are also period-correct and look great in an E30. After all, they came stock on the E30 M3 Evo III ... you can even buy factory sliders for them.

The Willans harnesses were the type that wrap around your thighs, like the previous-generation NASCAR harnesses. The anti-sub belts form a sort of rappelling harness around your legs and mount to the same points as the lap belts. In other words, you get the benefits of a 6-point harness without needing a hole in the seat to mount the anti-sub strap(s).

Schroth recently came out against this mounting style, but it has been used in formula racing and NASCAR for years.
                    sigpic
                    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      get some Scheel seats if you want your seats to be about 2 decades older-school than your car.
                      Exactly! Cut-down buckets (like Scheel) are fine for an '02, but totally the wrong look for an E30. You want Recaros.

sigpic
                      1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
                      2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

I have a Momo Corse steel framed fixed back which looks of a similar vintage to an E30. Despite the steel frame it's fairly light and has holes for harnesses.

Sparco Sprint V are pretty much the same style.

Comment

Emre - SRD is exactly what I'm looking for (or Recaro Speeds maybe). Do they still make SRD's, or is that something I'm going to have to search for?

I talked to the classicscarseats.com guys - they don't certify those seats at all for track use. This would run counter to my intent to improve the safety profile of the car for HPDE...
                          2002 325i (sold)
                          2009 X5 3.0si

Comment

Working...
                          X