X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ice racing tire pressure

Should it be really low around 20s or just normal

and its just on winter tires..no big studs or anything crazy

If you mean real like racing...like on a frozen lake...then you absolutely need studs. No need to under inflate.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
    2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Cold!
      NASA
      BMWCCA member
      PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
      1997 M3 sedan
      2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

on dirt, we use tubes and run anywhere from 10-16 lbs

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
        Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Emre View Post
          like on a frozen lake
          well that's the easiest place to find ice these days

and I have street studs but I ended up running my tires at 25 and it worked out fine

Originally posted by Smelser View Post
          on dirt, we use tubes and run anywhere from 10-16 lbs
          I guess I could of lowered it to around 20

Comment

Depends on the tires- if they're too low, the center loses pressure, and your
            contact patch starts to look like a pair of kidneys!

And front and rear may be quite different, too.

I'd love to try it with the latest 'ice- rated' studless tires. They're good- I just wonder HOW good.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I've been running street stud ice racing for a few yrs with fwd and awd championships,currently leading the fwd class.I've fooled around with pressures and other than feel the grip doesn't really seem to change much in a 10 psi window from 20 to 30psi.I generally just run 25 as it feels ok.
              I did have a bit of an oddball thing happen this past weekend,a buddy runs in the same class and we both use walmart cheapies on the rear but premium tires on the nose.He was running midpack on Saturday so on a whim he flipped on another pair of wallies to the front and dropped the pressures to 20,he chased me pretty hard for the win but couldn't quite get the drive.
              Lowered to 18psi for the last race and I had to use every trick in the book to keep him behind me at the checker,he actually pulled off a 360 mid race trying to avoid hitting me and chased me down in less than 2 laps so he was clearly faster than me.
              Guess who will try a pair of low psi wallies on the front this weekend.:D

Comment

infered temp gun, the point and click style, take three contact points on the tire surface as soon as you can after running. middle, outside and inside, use those readings to help dial in contact path, then work out from that for setup as well to your feel.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by Smelser View Post
                  infered temp gun, the point and click style, take three contact points on the tire surface as soon as you can after running. middle, outside and inside, use those readings to help dial in contact path, then work out from that for setup as well to your feel.

Wouldn't waste my time with an inferred gun even for summer stuff,certainly going to get 0 results on the ice.You can't possibly get slowed down and get a reading before the temps equalize even with a proper probe type pyrometer.

Infared is perfect for checking brake temps,checker header tubes for a dead cylinder etc etc but not for chassis sorting.

Comment

Hee hee- too true. Actually, what you get is really really interesting dynamically
                    (look at the F1 FLIR of the tyres they're broadcasting now, especially when the car stops)

but for anything other than dynamic measurements, poke with the pyrometer
                    or you'll just confuse the hell out of yourself.

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                    X