Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for those running 17x8's

Hey guys,

Thinking of going the 17x8 et25 route and running 235/40 Star Spec 2's for autocross this upcoming season. For those that run this setup on similar wheels specs like the apex wheel's, are there any issues with rubbing on late models? Pro's / Con's?

Thanks!
    sigpic
    1991 318is S52
    1987 325i Vert
    1991 325i
    2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

I had 2 sets of Apex's with square 235's used for autox, one with ZII's and one with NT01's. My rear fenders were rolled before I got the wheels, but had no rubbing issues with either set.

I chose the Apex's for direct fitment, BBK clearance and tire selection, and they were great. I have nothing to add for the con side of the question as I never had issues or complaints with them.
    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I haven't ran 17x8 et25, but I have ran 16x8 et25 with 215/45 tires. An educated guess based on my experience is that you will rub without rolling the fenders.

My car is an early model so I have larger arches in the rear, and I rubbed under hard acceleration, and turns with the 16x8 setup listed above. I also bent my passenger side fender pretty good at opposite lock on uneven pavement. Rolling the fenders solved my problems, but you have 20 more millimeters of tire to worry about, and lower arches.

Not the same wheel setup by any means, but it should help as a reference.

Comment

It occurs to me that suspension setup is also important here. I wasn't particularly low on IE3's and Billie sports, and then went to a J-stock setup which isn't much lower but much stiffer. If you're on coils or running soft spring rates you might have more issues.
        88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
          It occurs to me that suspension setup is also important here. I wasn't particularly low on IE3's and Billie sports, and then went to a J-stock setup which isn't much lower but much stiffer. If you're on coils or running soft spring rates you might have more issues.
          I'm on coils and the only time I've had rubbing on all my setups was in the rear but not on the outside fender it was up near the top of the inner fender. I suppose i could try and grind that area a little.
          sigpic
          1991 318is S52
          1987 325i Vert
          1991 325i
          2011 e70 X5

Comment

Okay so here are my choices.

17x8 17.5lbs w/ 235/40/17 Star Specs
            Price $2100

15x8 12.5lbs w/ 205/50/15 Star Specs
            Price $1100

What would you choose? Car has a build s52, mostly autocross, but plan on doing a few track days this year.

Input?
            sigpic
            1991 318is S52
            1987 325i Vert
            1991 325i
            2011 e70 X5

Comment

my car. S52, E36 5 lug, AST 4200. e36 M3 brakes.

I am using 17x8.5 with 245/40-17 RS-3. I rolled the crap out of my fenders. I wanted to make sure I didnt have any interference issues.

I wanted the bigger brakes and wider tires. Plus I wanted better shocks. So this is the route I went.

I think if you have brakes small enough to fit 15" and dont want to go wider than 225. stick with 15".

If you want bigger brakes and wider tires, go 17" and you will have to modify the fenders. Or you should modify them to reduce the risk of problems.

I dont think i would go through the trouble of the 17" to only go to 235s. just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Artful Dodger View Post
                my car. S52, E36 5 lug, AST 4200. e36 M3 brakes.

I am using 17x8.5 with 245/40-17 RS-3. I rolled the crap out of my fenders. I wanted to make sure I didnt have any interference issues.

I wanted the bigger brakes and wider tires. Plus I wanted better shocks. So this is the route I went.

I think if you have brakes small enough to fit 15" and dont want to go wider than 225. stick with 15".

If you want bigger brakes and wider tires, go 17" and you will have to modify the fenders. Or you should modify them to reduce the risk of problems.

I dont think i would go through the trouble of the 17" to only go to 235s. just my opinion.
                Thanks for the input. I have the UUC BBK now and the 15's clear them, so I guess i'll just stick with them and see if 205/50's give me better turn in. I'm going 205/50 because i really want to run the Star Spec 2's. Not to many autocross tires in 225/45 right now, and i've heard great things about the Star Spec 2's versus the Rivals/Hankooks and Toyos.
                sigpic
                1991 318is S52
                1987 325i Vert
                1991 325i
                2011 e70 X5

Comment

Are you legal to run NT-01's? I typically use 225/45r15 NT-01's on 15x8 et 20 and they don't rub at all. I've been very impressed by the Nittos.
                  sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
                    Are you legal to run NT-01's? I typically use 225/45r15 NT-01's on 15x8 et 20 and they don't rub at all. I've been very impressed by the Nittos.
                    He's swapped, so for autox he's in SM where R comps are legal, and necessary if he wants to be competitive.

OP, I ran 235/40/17 NT01's last season as my dual purpose autox and track tires and they worked well. Not as fast Hoosiers or other softer compounds, but faster than high performance street tires and have great life.
                    88 325is - S52 powered

Comment

I ran the 17x8 Apex wheels on 235/40/17 NT-05s the last couple of years and I'm due for new ones this year. I like the NT-05, but I've read that the Rivals, Star Specs, etc are better. No rubbing on early wheel arches with coilovers.

I'd love to make the jump to some NT-01s, but I do occasionally drive the car to local meets in fair weather. I just can't decide if I should run them since I only use one set of wheels.
                      -Brandon
                      '86 325es S50
                      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

I actually have a set of 235/40r17 NT-01's that only have one track session and 12 autox runs on them. If you are interested I can give you a good deal.
                        sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
                          I actually have a set of 235/40r17 NT-01's that only have one track session and 12 autox runs on them. If you are interested I can give you a good deal.
                          Thanks, Rocco - I'll keep that in mind, but for the time being, I think I've talked myself into some Star Specs. :)
                          -Brandon
                          '86 325es S50
                          '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                          '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                          '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                          S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Working...
                          X