Track weight stripped M52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track weight stripped M52

Currently stripping the E30 ready for a weld-in rear cage with bolt in front legs and single door bars, M52, ZF, mid case lsd, etc. I have removed the sunroof cassette, and in the process of removing sound deadening, excess wiring, AC and other extraneous fittings. Any idea as to projected weight in the above spec with race seat, full glass, gutted dash, door trims? Started as base spec 318i M40 auto.

The redbook.com.au lists the kerb weight as 1165kg/2563lb which may not include sunroof.

sigpic

You should be a lot lighter than that redbook figure now. I just weighed my car yesterday. M20, G260, medium case, full interior minus A/C and power steering and it was 1135kg with 55-60litres of fuel. I'm guessing you'll end up around 1000kg fully gutted.

Comment

I'd expect you'll probably end up somewhere around 1100kgs/2400lbs. With everything you're taking out, you'll probably pull out about 200lbs. But then expect to add in somewhere around 50lbs for the cage and race seat. So you're likely getting about a net 150lbs removed total.
      Mark K
      1989 BMW 325i
      SCCA SEDIV TT Street Mod Champion 2011

Comment

I have nothing to add but I dig the Bronzit. Don't know why so many people hate it.
        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Did you ever weigh it before you started stripping it? Im guessing you will lose around 150kg stripping it out. Then you are adding weight back in with the cage
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

There is some sound deadening inside the doors and 1/4 panels that a lot of people forget about.
            There is also a small piece under the center console by the ebrake and some in front of the shifter. There is a heavy Matt under the dash by the firewall. There is also some sound deadening in the engine bay and transmission tunnel on the firewall all of that can go.
            You can convert the car to use a lightweight race battery mount that in the battery tray in the engine bay and you get a savings from the heavy battery and savings from the thick battery cable running the length of the car.

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

Foglights, sound system.

Keeping it road-legal?

No night racing? Headlights

Do you care about racing in the rain? Full HVAC delete. Heater core, vents and ducts, etc. The extra weight of the heater core coolant and pipping adds up.

No endurance racing? Remove wipers, wiper motors, water tank and sprayers.

That's probably another 50lbs of stuff

And take out that tool kit!
              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Tool kit: Gone! sound deadening under the center console: Gone!

It can no longer take a back seat, little brackets, Gone! In the next day or two, I'll be grinding off any brackets not earning its keep. It may not add up to much, but I have a retired race engineer friend with F1 and Bathurst experience who will be looking over it and is a hard task master on weight.

Road legal is not an issue but the local race regs require the basic electrics still functioning, wipers, lights, indicators, horn, etc

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                I have nothing to add but I dig the Bronzit. Don't know why so many people hate it.
                Another friend of mine who is a long time BMW owner said that at the time BMW dealers used to hate being assigned Bronzit 318i autos. They were the hardest to sell and would stay on the showroom floor the longest.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                  Because most of them are front-runners looking for (forum) acceptance.

Originally posted by dsm2002 View Post
                  Another friend of mine who is a long time BMW owner said that at the time BMW dealers used to hate being assigned Bronzit 318i autos. They were the hardest to sell and would stay on the showroom floor the longest.
                  I'd think that has more to do with being a 318i auto than it does the color, but that's just a guess.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Maybe some colors are less "attractive" to younger people. Yet taste is a very personal thing.

Personally i dont like beige, brown, burgundy. That doesnt mean they are bad or anything, its a very personal choice.

Maybe other colors are more attractive, cause they do have some "sport heritage". Red, blue, green, orange, yellow, silver, white, black ...

In the end, what really matters is that the owner likes it, the rest can have their car in the color they like.
                    ---E30 320i Hennarot 1984 Sedan---

Comment

Nah, colour. 318i autos were the mainstay of BMW sales at the time. There was a 'luxury car tax' at the time which was pegged at just above the 318i price tag. Autos were most often sold so the 320i and 325i autos were hit with the tax and was much more expensive.
                      sigpic

Comment

...and I suspect you'll be around 2400 lbs wet, when you're all done.

That's 1100ish kg's, for the real world.

You take out a lot of weight (100 kg's) and get all excited,
                        and then add 60 for the cage, 5 here, 10 for the fire system, blah blah,
                        and suddenly, you're not all that light.

If you REALLY put the car on a diet, (headlights, glass, taillight housings, etc)
                        you can get under 1000kg's pretty fast.

fwiw

t
                        who still has his trunk deadening for 'weight balance'...
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I added a Lukebox in the back to help balance my car and an aluminum M52 in front. Balance haha
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Bronzit is awesome.

Bronzit coupe enduro racing car
                            nascar leg bars on both sides
                            22 gal fuel cell
                            cool suit cooler box/pump
                            only glass is front windshield
                            relocated battery to passenger floor in marine box
                            Longacre racing wiring, kill/start combo. only factory BMW wiring is the M50b25tu wiring harness

2525lbs corner balanced with full 22 gal cell weight+5 gal coolsuit icebox+ and 180 lbs driver

2225lbs dry weight no fuel no driver no ice in cool box;

car is running 24v IRON block engine, zf 5 speed, 188mm diff with Z3m heavy cover
                            the enduro fuel cell is quite heavy also and so is its containment box.
                            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                              Bronzit is awesome.

Bronzit coupe enduro racing car
                              nascar leg bars on both sides
                              22 gal fuel cell
                              cool suit cooler box/pump
                              only glass is front windshield
                              relocated battery to passenger floor in marine box
                              Longacre racing wiring, kill/start combo. only factory BMW wiring is the M50b25tu wiring harness

2525lbs corner balanced with full 22 gal cell weight+5 gal coolsuit icebox+ and 180 lbs driver

2225lbs dry weight no fuel no driver no ice in cool box;

car is running 24v IRON block engine, zf 5 speed, 188mm diff with Z3m heavy cover
                              the enduro fuel cell is quite heavy also and so is its containment box.

all oem body panels?!?

i'm scared how light my full fiberglass/carbon car is gonna be lol

2003.5 Imolarot M3: daily
                              1995 Alpinweiß M3: hpde

Comment

Working...
                              X