Kirk Rollbar and sunroof fitment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirk Rollbar and sunroof fitment question

The Kirk rollbar has an option for sunroof vs no sunroof. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to put the non-sunroof one in a car that has retained the sunroof but not the sunroof sliding mechanisms.

The roof fabric is already gone, and I don't mind ripping into the metal that the sunroof slides into if I have to, I'd just rather not have to weld in a replacement panel at this point in time.

Alternative question: For those with the non-sunroof rollbar, how much space is between the bar and the roof?

Thoughts?
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Went with a Kirk "Sunroof still there" option. If I feel it's too low to be effective, or in my way, I suppose I'll order the other one and make it fit, even if I have to weld the roof shut. If anyone has questions about this feel free to ping this thread.

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

i'm not sure about the differences between the two but every single bolt in cage that i've ever seen has looked like total crap..

find someone local who plays with DOM and give them $1000-$1200 for a solid welded in 4 point.

2003.5 Imolarot M3: daily
      1995 Alpinweiß M3: hpde

Comment

Kirk makes pretty nice bars. I had one and it definitely didn't look like crap, either in materials or craftsmanship.
        88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
        We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

either way he already bought it, and its not likely returnable. GL OP

Comment

Originally posted by matthugie View Post
            Kirk makes pretty nice bars. I had one and it definitely didn't look like crap, either in materials or craftsmanship.
            i should have been a little bit more clear.

they fit like crap. they don't hug the roof or pillars and never seem to sit flush on the bolt points.

the worst i've seen have been in an e30 & a Ti. the fitment is just wrong for how much they cost.

Comment

Originally posted by unloadedak View Post
              i should have been a little bit more clear.

they fit like crap. they don't hug the roof or pillars and never seem to sit flush on the bolt points.

the worst i've seen have been in an e30 & a Ti. the fitment is just wrong for how much they cost.
              Ah, OK. I won't really argue with you on those points. Mine was tight on the roof but did have some gap to the pillars. The bolt points for the floor fit nicely, but the rear mounts not being pre-bent is a pain in the ass.
              88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
              We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Originally posted by unloadedak View Post
                i'm not sure about the differences between the two but every single bolt in cage that i've ever seen has looked like total crap..

find someone local who plays with DOM and give them $1000-$1200 for a solid welded in 4 point.
                Thanks for the... tip? The roll bar is already purchased, and a weld in 4 point isn't really in the budget, which is already over by $700. Besides, I'd rather have the entire cage put in at once, than do a half cage and attach another half cage later.

I'll just hope it's not as bad as you say, and that Kirk has stepped up their game a little bit. I got it through Bimmerworld, which I haven't had sell me an intentionally shoddy product yet.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Earendil View Post
                  Thanks for the... tip? The roll bar is already purchased, and a weld in 4 point isn't really in the budget, which is already over by $700. Besides, I'd rather have the entire cage put in at once, than do a half cage and attach another half cage later.

I'll just hope it's not as bad as you say, and that Kirk has stepped up their game a little bit. I got it through Bimmerworld, which I haven't had sell me an intentionally shoddy product yet.
                  You're..... welcome

Comment

Working...
                  X