No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here is a question for you guys that take pictures with your trucks on these beautiful off road drives.
    How does one find these roads to drive on? Im looking for more overland friendly driving, not hardcore axle twisting offload stuff. Do you guys just look over maps for fire trails and stuff?
    I live in WA, and spend a good amount of time on the Olympic Peninsula. Every time I see a road that looks like it would be fun to drive up it has a frickin locked gate (not residential).
    Any advice?
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
      So here is a question for you guys that take pictures with your trucks on these beautiful off road drives.
      How does one find these roads to drive on? Im looking for more overland friendly driving, not hardcore axle twisting offload stuff. Do you guys just look over maps for fire trails and stuff?
      I live in WA, and spend a good amount of time on the Olympic Peninsula. Every time I see a road that looks like it would be fun to drive up it has a frickin locked gate (not residential).
      Any advice?
      Colorado has an insane amount of resources for finding trails. I use this and a couple others:

I'm sure there must be something for around WA. I would check regional offroad forums/subforums too.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Yeah in my area we have lots of fire/logging roads, and have been running into more and more locked gates every year. We just have so many arond where i livewe are always finding a new side trail that might go 200 yards or 2 miles before dead ending or made impassable.
        We just go explore and see where shit goes.

Google maps is not a bad way to find prospect. Since many of those f/s roads are on their maps, but not so much the loging roads on the "private" timber lands. Also I know in wa. State wyherhauser (sp) timber likes to charge fees for recreational use of their lands. Might be worth contacting them for maps, useage regs and fee chart.

Co. Has lots well know trails like ut. So there is a lot more info about when and where for those areas, and a few places in southern mt and wy.
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Got her home, started on the head gaskets.

Timing belt was definitely ready for a change.

Someone didn't enjoy changing the oil.

Some people ride the struggle bus.

Comment

lol how cheap was it?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
              lol how cheap was it?
              I paid $1,600

Comment

Lots of ways. Google Maps / Google Earth. National Forest / National Park Maps. Outside of many marked/popular camping areas there are "dispersed camping" areas that can also lead to forest or service roads.

Recently I became a member of Overland Bound totally worth doing IMO. Couple who run it just made a youtube video on how they plot their trips using Google Earth, you can export the route to a file that navigation systems can use. I did the same thing but with Google Maps and a more manual / printed map routing way. I hadn't used Google Earth in honestly years, so I fired it up and I'll be picking up a navigation system to use the Google Earth method.

Also have an ipad I'll be getting some apps installed onto, but with my current tmobile coverage I lose service on my cell as soon as I leave the valley. I'll be switching to verizon and getting a cell booster for the rig that is currently being built. Also picking up the "worst case" backup sat nav/phone beacon thing.

While it's easy to have a huge list for overlanding/traveling and overload a rig... I do believe there are a few things you should have 2 backups of. Communication is one of those things, especially if you're like me and like to camp pretty far away from people.

---

Stig - While she's clearly been neglected you saved that truck!
                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Comms are great, but survival skills and a few extra supplies are better, personally I dont even like having my cell with while exploring..... But I hate people, and thats why I go many of the places I do, to get away from them...... I would like to get a 2m set up for when shit might go really wrong, but dont want to go through the HAM thing to do it

Those spot locator text message thing have been proving to be rather unreliable until they get back with in cell coverage a lot of the time. I will see if I can find the thread about it over on Mud....
                  Last edited by mrsleeve; 01-18-2017, 04:55 PM.
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                    Comms are great, but survival skills and a few extra supplies are better, personally I dont even like having my cell with while exploring..... But I hate people, and thats why I go many of the places I do, to get away from them...... I would like to get a 2m set up for when shit might go really wrong, but dont want to go through the HAM thing to do it

Those spot locator text message thing have been proving to be rather unreliable until they get back with in cell coverage a lot of the time. I will see if I can find the thread about it over on Mud....
                    It's more of a just in case measure. I don't touch my phone unless I need it, it's in the backpack or in the glove box - turned off. I like being disconnected too, but having the option to call/text saying "I won't be in the office Monday" would be nice to have. Or ya know, in an emergency.

Didn't know that, figured the technology was better since their inception.

Comment

one the nicest recent fj80's i've seen for sale. bring big $$$ with you

06' Black Cayman S

71' Agave Green 2002

10' Silver Landcruiser

Comment

here's my 03 pos. picked it up in mexico because i can't afford the lc/4runner/taco tax here in LA. 4x4 limiteds go for 10-20k here in LA

1 million miles min they run. most durable modern cars made

06' Black Cayman S

71' Agave Green 2002

10' Silver Landcruiser

Comment

I'm not sure about the million mile claim. However every time I drive past the local Toyota dealer hoping to scope out the newest clean 4runner trade in to replace mine, I'm left seeing taco/tundra/camry's and not a 4runner in sight. That reinforces my belief I picked the right vehicle.

Comment

That's a pretty rusty for a socal rig and unlocked 80 for that kinda money, I also challenge the well maintained claim, front knuckles look like they have been dry for a very very long time

8k tops and solely due to lower mileages

William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mariano_is_my_hero View Post
                              one the nicest recent fj80's i've seen for sale. bring big $$$ with you

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...931224136.html
                              Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                              That's a pretty rusty for a socal rig and unlocked 80 for that kinda money, I also challenge the well maintained claim, front knuckles look like they have been dry for a very very long time

8k tops and solely due to lower mileages
                              What Sleeve said on all points. I've seen that one for sale for awhile (I keep an eye on all LC's in the southwest) and it was the one I was thinking of when I saw the first picture. I don't think it's worth 15k. But the market is going up, and it won't come down that's for sure.

Your 4 Runner is nice. Very similar to my 100 in more ways than one. Friend has an 07' limited 4x4 v8, in the fancy dark blue. Really dig it.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                                What Sleeve said on all points. I've seen that one for sale for awhile (I keep an eye on all LC's in the southwest) and it was the one I was thinking of when I saw the first picture. I don't think it's worth 15k. But the market is going up, and it won't come down that's for sure.

Your 4 Runner is nice. Very similar to my 100 in more ways than one. Friend has an 07' limited 4x4 v8, in the fancy dark blue. Really dig it.
                                thanks.

i got two 4runners back to back because i was so impressed with them. my friend is the service manager at one of the largest toyota dealers in the country so i don't pay for any maintenance which is also a bonus

all my 4runners have been bulletproof and capable of anything i needed from them. i give it an oil change every 5k miles and oil/air and cabin filters every 10k miles and it just chugs along. zero issues on any of them

its priceless to have my cayman and 2002 in the garage safe

ps: towing capacity on 03-08 4runners is actually 7000 lbs depending on hitch you have

here are specs: gross vehicle weight rating 5710 lbs, curb weight 4475 lbs, max payload 1235 lbs
                                max gross trailer weight braked 5000 lbs for V6 with factory hitch, 7000 lbs for V8 with weight distribution hitch

06' Black Cayman S

71' Agave Green 2002

10' Silver Landcruiser

Comment

Working...
                                X