1990 320i m20 Touring 2.7 now with mtech 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 320i m20 Touring 2.7 now with mtech 2

Bought the car a few years ago, a 320i that was stroked using ETA crank, pistons and head. It developed an oil leak on the crank seal so it came out to get an overhaul. So a 885 head was put on it with a hot cam of sorts. It is currently waiting for a supercharger (due to the lower compression). It is generally a fun/project car and daily.

A few months with the car

with OZ 15" 7j front and 8j rear

These were replaced by Alpina's

The first that that needed doing was the breaks. So that was done and then I started with suspension

and some lowering springs, also some platforms to raise the rear a bit.

Then some m tech parts

So to the only surviving photo of the overhaul of the m20

The block was painted a light colour so that any oil leaks could be seen

The motor in place

Some front seats as the old ones were torn, and a 370mm wheel

Map light mirror

Then some messing about with the gauges, for fun...

Time went by and the RSM went bad (common on the Tourings). They are a bit of an ass to get to. So got some stiffer ones

Some more bits to complete the interior

While there I also decided to add A/C and rear electric windows.

All was good and then I had the clutch slave piss hydraulic fluid on a new sachs clutch. So I then opted for someone to make me heavy duty clutch

Started gathering items to redo the suspension as I wasn't too happy with it.

Went Koni with some assortment of different spring rates.

Got the Alpina's on, missing the centers (that was sorted latter)

All refurbished with new locks.

Then I started adding the mtech 2 parts.

Front and rear bumpers with the air ducts.

While at it, some smoked bullseyes

Acquired heated wide angle mirror

New light button

Fixed the key light

Then cleaned the engine up a bit

Added an exhaust manifold, and a strut brace.

Adding the pods and sides

While the car sitting there I added the installation for battery in the boot. It came out of a 324td touring, as the cable is different and the flap where there battery goes has a bulge. Still need to add the battery in the boot

So the car as it sits due to winter and not having the time to do anything apart from drive it

I have a factory 14" winter set for it, it looks horrid and didn't take any pics. However over the winter I acquired and mtech 2 rear spoiler and started on the front suspension

P re-assumbely

Some welding

test assembled

Then this happened

Drove 1 day like this, it was low and awful. So we sped up the process of the front struts

powder coated

Assembled

Touring Mtech 2 spoiler

The spare wheel came in

Was a little bored so fixed the glove box torch/lamp

And then wanted to try something new, to get rid of the monotone black on gray.

Professionally stitched with the correct woven nylon thread.

Some other bits have been acquired like a supercharger, adjustable cam pulley, plastics and other stuff.
    Djordje

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Wow that's a great first post.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Cheers, there are plenty of things that I haven't mentioned that are not up to scratch. I figure that 24 winters haven't helped rust along but the car isn't too bad
      Djordje

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Comment

Damn

Comment

I need that rear spoiler for mine...
          Dale
          1991 E30 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by HighOnLife View Post
            I need that rear spoiler for mine...
            Planning on making copies of it, however the progress is very slow.
            Last edited by Sasmo; 04-18-2015, 10:53 PM.
            Djordje

Comment

Originally posted by Sasmo View Post
              Planning on making copies of it, however the progress is very slow.
              Put me on the list for one when you have a prototype made

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Originally posted by MC Hammered View Post
                Put me on the list for one when you have a prototype made
                I am in Europe and not sure how feasible it would be to send it. I will check all that when a prototype has been made and we know how much it weighs.

Otherwise I am planning on making maybe 15-20 copies out of fiberglass that would be glued on to the tailgate. The original uses clips and an adhesive (like windscreen sealant). There is a feeler for this on another forum but I will keep the want for something like this for over the pond, in mind.

I have attached the spoiler to see how it all works using minimal adhesive and the factory clips (6 all up, just locate the correct position really), the guy I bought it off used adhesive only and I am fairly confident that it will hold it.

This is for another thread :)
                Djordje

Comment

Sicker than Ebola!
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Beautiful! Keep the posts coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dobrodosao na forum. Odlicno kucas engleski. U kom delu Beograda si?

Sjajan vagon, ajde posalji ga za Kanadu.

Comment

Hvala, bolje vas nasli. Sa Brda sam :)

Za sada ne prodajem, nije zavrsen :). Treba remont g260, špera i kompresor.

Pozdrav
                        Djordje

Comment

Amazing! :)

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

So some time has past, and I have been messing about with the axles as they had play. I bough some new SKF ones as the reman. ones have trouble fitting.

as some of you may see, the end that does to the diff flange is for the e36 diff flange. This was changed out, using the old e30 style ones from the old pair.

While there and going to the trouble. I changed the splash plates

Along with rear wheel bearings and new clips.

So while I had everything off I changed the tail shaft/ prop shaft bearings. Nothing magical. But I had been noticing a slip in the clutch with hard acceleration, from 3rd to 4th. So decided to change that as well. This time for something with a bit more bite

Its supposedly a stage 2 clutch kit, I can see that it was LuK but the manufacturer states that this is strengthened. I assume this is an increase in the fingers on the pressure plate. It also seems that the clutch plate is of "better" material.

Furthermore, I was going to set the cam timing correctly - so I bought a vernier pulley/adjustable cam pulley

So after I changed all the driving stuff like the clutch and added a brass clutch fork pivot pin (got one made locally). Changed all the rear bearings and axles - and noticed that the parking/hand brake cables were stuffed. I went off to get the cam pulley done.

This was the biggest change in performance that I had noticed after the car became a proper 2.7 with a 2.5 head. The can accelerates smoothly and idle is much better.

So the next project was seeing what to do with the rear springs. The ones I had were too soft. So some 550lbs/inch or 8.9kg/mm where in order. AVO 6" and 550lbs/inch. Some polyamide guides and retainers were made up.

turns out the guides and platforms were too long. This needs to be revisited. Currently on e36 compact TA Tehnix rear coilovers - too soft for me.

This is about the time brake stuff came in. New cables PAGID, ATE Power Disks and Pas. With ware sensors. And new ATE springs and retainers for the handbrake shoes. Also ATE.

As of now I am waiting for Saturday for my car to go to paint :) This is when the MT2 rear spoiler will have a mold made, everything put in place.

Till then I bid you adieu
                            Djordje

Comment

you sir are making me search harder for a touring good luck with yours enjoy

Comment

Working...
                              X