Dustin Wark | 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE | 4.01.16 - 448,336

So not the best of news this spring. About a month or so ago my brakes stopped working when I was driving home, I was able to limp to a Les Schwab on March 2nd near my apartment in hopes they could fix my brakes and I wouldn't have to pay to have it towed to a proper shop. While it was there I had them throw on my new RSs (whoops).

They bled my brakes which fixed my issue and sent me on my way with my shiny new wheels on. It was raining pretty hard that weekend so I wasn't able to -attempt- to put on the hex/waffles until the following Monday.

That's when I noticed the damage. The center bore and threads for the hex were fucked, royally. My only guess is carelessness when balancing the wheels and stupidly using an impact wrench to throw the lugs on. The hex don't even remotely thread on anymore.

I called the shop, asked to speak with the manager, and politely explained I that I was in a few days ago and that I noticed there was damage to my wheels. I wouldn't be able to stop in until Thursday due to my work schedule. When I brought the car back to them and showed the manager I was told "I don't see how we could have done that, we just bolted them on" asked me what I wanted them to do. I told them I just wanted my wheels in the condition I dropped them off with and asked if they had any recommended wheel repair shops in the area I could take them to to get an estimate. The shop they recommended came highly recommended form friends in the area as well and the owner was horrified when I showed hime the wheels and told him the story. So that's where the wheels sit now, waiting to see if they can even be fixed. Could be months out as the shop is very busy.

On the good side of things I was able to pick up a set of REALLY clean Hella Smileys from ST1G and with the help of Jordan (SEM trim paint advice) and Guten Parts (brand new OEM pig tails) I was able to make these 30 year old lights look nearly factory fresh.

In addition to the new headlights I spent some time painting the euro grilles, kidney, and rear license plate filler. I also replaced the cracked antenna grommet, added some rubber grommets to the license plate bolts, and siliconed a few small areas I though might be contributing to the small lake growing in my trunk.

Next step is probably going to be the rear shelf revitalization and speaker upgrade project. I need to remove the shelf, find some decent aftermarket speakers, die the shelf, paint the vents, and install the OEM Premium speaker covers.

Dustin Wark | Instagram tumblrFlickr

Comment

I thought everything you did right up to the wheels was very well done. Not crazy the wheels, just my opinion, but too much bling for the subtle design of the car.

I hope maybe you're not planning to slam it as low the graphic in your signature? But, I'm an old fart, and it's your car. Have fun. That is an amazingly well preserved unmolested car ....there aren't many left.

As far as mileage, these rebuildable cars. Mileage with proper maintenance is irrelevant. Simple enough that they should be able to run forever as long as the body is solid.

Nice car Dustin, I look forward to seeing what's next.

Comment

Originally posted by jagarfield View Post

I hope maybe you're not planning to slam it as low the graphic in your signature? But, I'm an old fart, and it's your car. Have fun. That is an amazingly well preserved unmolested car ....there aren't many left.
        What's your opinion on bags? Is that ruining the car?

Comment

Looking goooooood
          sigpic

Comment

I think you were supposed to use tuner lugs with your fill and redrill wheels. Did the shop reimburse you?
            sigpic
            January 2012 COTM

Comment

Your car looks great. I love that steering wheel!

Comment

Originally posted by mila325 View Post
                What's your opinion on bags? Is that ruining the car?
                Rolling the fenders and scraping the shit out of the bottom of the car is what I would consider "ruined" along with drilling any holes to mount the system. Any kind of modification to the main body chassis of a clean, original car is a bad idea imo.
                My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                  I think you were supposed to use tuner lugs with your fill and redrill wheels. Did the shop reimburse you?

I made the same careless mistake, you need tuner lugs!!!, the faces are done.

Comment

you need these, i wish i was told this too

Comment

If those wheel are 16" i'm selling four faces if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by jagarfield View Post
                        I thought everything you did right up to the wheels was very well done. Not crazy the wheels, just my opinion, but too much bling for the subtle design of the car.

As far as mileage, these rebuildable cars. Mileage with proper maintenance is irrelevant. Simple enough that they should be able to run forever as long as the body is solid.

Nice car Dustin, I look forward to seeing what's next.
                        Agreed. Not many unmolested examples left. Say no to airbags.

Comment

Working...
                        X