No announcement yet.

Who is THE V8 Swap master??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

akg has done a couple nice examples. If I was thinking about attempting such a thing, I'd call Andy directly and ask what the biggest challenges were and what were his solutions.

Also the son/dad team that put a ls1 in an e30 I *think* sell the instructions and all the engineering drawings for some trick solutions like the brake servo. Corvette motor go fast and have a much better aftermarket than the m60.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
      ...Corvette motor go fast and have a much better aftermarket than the m60.
      Yes, the LS1 goes fast, but it's no BMW motor and we're not building Nova's... for most of us here, the lineage of the car AND it's power plant are more important. Not to take anything away from those who have done mixed brand swaps, as they present their own challenges, but given the choice, I think many choose to stay brand loyal because it maintains the integrity of the car. I was never a big fan of a Camaro with a big block Mopar swapped into it... never made any sense to me, but to each their own...

Most of us here are staying with the M6X for a good reason(s)...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by r3vRob View Post
        well in that case, heres a list on things you need to perform the swap. please correct me if im wrong/lmk of any good deals around these parts you may know of...

1. m60/62
        2. e34 5 speed trans (will any zf 5speed work btw)
        3. e34 brake booster and master cylinder
        4. motor mounts
        5. 2.93 diff (alot of speculation around this. is this best for the v8 with a 5speed?)
        6. 404 dme
        7. wiring harness from a manual v8 car

OK so let me know if all these are correct and if im missing anything

p.s. dont send me links to the rts auto thread, ive read it as well as the semi comprehensive thread. as i stated earlier im the type of person who wants that extra clarification. and the faster i get help the faster i find parts and the faster ill make the most detailed build thread of all time... thanks
        If you use the 5 speed, you dont need to modify the mounting point, and you can use a 325e driveshaft.

You can do hydroboost, most people do the e34/e32 booster, but generally it involves welding/mounting the booster behind the headlight and making linkages.

You can also use a wiring harness from a m60b30 vehicle. Naika claims that you can just leave the automatic wiring unplugged, and all will work fine.

The 300mm.de mounts require subframe spacers, personally I would avoid using them, notching the oil pan, and making your own mounts. Checkout BruceBe thread for how he did it.

You will need a frequency divider to the tachometer to make it read correctly (using a 4 cylinder coding plug in your cluster will cause it to read twice what it should, thus you need to divider that will divide by half).

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
        A lot of other forums have extremely organized and detailed stickied threads that simply tell you everything you need to know in one place. Like FrankM's M30 swap guide pdf - there isin't even anything as good as that guide for the 24v swaps.

Instead, R3v has huge 100 page threads with random info scattered throughout it which is rather useless for someone trying to figure out how to do a swap. And just reading build threads that usually leave a lot out will not get you the info you need.
        That's the problem.

And you probably won't see someone make a thread here with all the info organized and summarized in one place, at least not for free. But it would be awesome if someone did.:)
        I find the e30 m60/2 crowd is some of the most involved, and kind group of guys, generally always willing to give their advice/opinion.

The reason there is no one 'master' guide is because the swap can be approached in so many ways, depending on your desires you have to contend with OBD II to OBD I (m62), 5 speed or 6 speed + linkages+driveshaft, welding motor mounts to frame or using 300mm mounts and using spacers or using no spacers and having drive train tilt or notching the oil pan and making your own motor mounts with no drivetrain tilt, hydroboost vs no booster vs mounting the booster behind the headlight, using the e28 radiator or custom radiator or Z3M radiator, the list goes on.
        Last edited by noid; 01-14-2012, 12:17 PM.
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
          Yes, the LS1 goes fast, but it's no BMW motor and we're not building Nova's... for most of us here, the lineage of the car AND it's power plant are more important. Not to take anything away from those who have done mixed brand swaps, as they present their own challenges, but given the choice, I think many choose to stay brand loyal because it maintains the integrity of the car. I was never a big fan of a Camaro with a big block Mopar swapped into it... never made any sense to me, but to each their own...

Most of us here are staying with the M6X for a good reason(s)...

Garey
          Nothing wrong with more than doubling the hp and torque delivered to the rear tires....there ain't no replacement for displacement ;)

Our car weighs 85lbs more than a stock E30 -- has a nice 6-speed; can spin the rear tires at 60mph --

We're the E30-LS1 swap kings. email us at E30LS1@gmail for inf & pics
          E30-LS1 aka. 357is
          email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
          E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
          E30LS1@gmail.com
          e30ls1.com

Comment

To be fair the m62b46 produces virtually the same output as an ls1. Then there is the option to opt-in for an s62.
            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

From what i've seen the M6X engines actually weigh less than the LSX engines. And although the M6X is wider, more importantly, it is shorter and sits farther back in the engine bay. Besides keeping it BMW, you have a smoother DOHC engine as well. It's not all about stupid tire burning power for most people anyway. I can't see the extra power of the lsx engines being that much more useful, unless you're just using the car to street race or drag race.. and if you're doing drag launches with lsx torque you're probably gonna start breaking things.
              Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

again, if i can get tested dimensions for motor mounts that work without subframe spacers, i can probably come up with a few sets for the current interested swap guys.
                1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                1974 2002tii / stock
                2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Try to get in contact with Brucebe, he is running a notched oilpan set up, and made his own motor mounts. I think E30SPDFRK also notched his oil pan.

I am definitely interested in a set if this turns out.

Comment

i PM'd e30spdfrk a couple days ago, but he hasn't gotten back to me. i've had some members PM me to tell me to measure it out myself, but i can't realistically afford the time or space to have two motors removed in limbo.
                    1974 2002tii / stock
                    2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

If you want to swap the M62, go for it. Get an M62 with the Nikasil block (could be free; Nikasil didn't last very long using the higher-sulpher gasoline in the US), and make your own mounts. Be aware that there's lots more than mounts to take care of.
                      E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                      E30LS1@gmail.com
                      e30ls1.com

Comment

In my opinion, if my ride was gonna be fast fun DD that saw the track every once and a while I would go with the M62. If I wanted to build an all out drag car, I would go with a LS motor. There are A LOT more aftermarket power makers for an LS1-7 than any BMW engine. Honestly though, I really don't have preference, if a 6.1L hemi would fit, I'd drop it into a E30. Although a E90 M3 V8 would be pretty sweeeeeet in a E30:p
                        sigpic
                        Justin Angelli
                        1985 325e Gazellenbiege

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                          If you want to swap the M62, go for it. Get an M62 with the Nikasil block (could be free; Nikasil didn't last very long using the higher-sulpher gasoline in the US), and make your own mounts. Be aware that there's lots more than mounts to take care of.
                          The m62b46 and s62 were only ever produced using alusil, only the first year m62b44 used nikasil, any problem motors had the recall done under warranty, and there is no reason to fear nikasil m62's that have been running strong for this long.

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
                            The m62b46 and s62 were only ever produced using alusil, only the first year m62b44 used nikasil, any problem motors had the recall done under warranty, and there is no reason to fear nikasil m62's that have been running strong for this long.
                            The only reason to get a Nikasil engine is that there are lots and lots of dead ones in junk yards. One can probably be had just for the asking.

In order to make engine mounts and a tx mount, you need a mock-up that can be put into the chassis of interest. We used a urethane engine block and the T56 (see our build thread).
                            E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                            E30LS1@gmail.com
                            e30ls1.com

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                              plenty of alusil m60s around, and the dual-chain and chip-ability of the m60 interests me. of course there's more than mounts to face, but that's the current hurdle i'm trying to jump.

Originally posted by 85e325 View Post
                              In my opinion, if my ride was gonna be fast fun DD that saw the track every once and a while I would go with the M62. If I wanted to build an all out drag car, I would go with a LS motor. There are A LOT more aftermarket power makers for an LS1-7 than any BMW engine. Honestly though, I really don't have preference, if a 6.1L hemi would fit, I'd drop it into a E30. Although a E90 M3 V8 would be pretty sweeeeeet in a E30:p
                              my not s85 V10 while we're down there? this is r3v, we be broke.

heredity, availability, affordability. that's my opinion..
                              1974 2002tii / stock
                              2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Working...
                              X