Wheel refinishing gurus, need your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel refinishing gurus, need your opinion

I purchased some 3pc Work wheels for my E30 and want to have them refinished.

Ideally I want them the entire wheel to be matte medium-sh gray including the hardware. I am a painter so I could use a urethane with matte clear but I'd rather have them powder coated. I understand that taking them apart in the future would be a PITA with the pc option but that doesn't bother me really.

Any ill effects besides disassembly being a bitch with pc option?

What about removing just the hardware and powder coating without them installed...would I risk the sealant coming apart.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Rides:
    91 318is S50swap
    94.5 F250 7.3 Dana 60 Swap/SD spring swap
    99 VFR800 Street Fighter
    2002 DRZ400e...Titled
    2007 DR650 Supermoto (WIP)
    1981 XS650 Choppaaaa (WIP)

Why don't you cerakote them?

Comment

Are they forges? If so do not powder coat them

Comment

Originally posted by dailyrider View Post
        I understand that taking them apart in the future would be a PITA with the pc option but that doesn't bother me really.

Any ill effects besides disassembly being a bitch with pc option?
        Whats so difficult about disassembly vs regular disassembly? Are you PCing the lip as well and are worried about scratching it? You should split the wheel when powdercoating to do the face & barrel.

Originally posted by dailyrider View Post

What about removing just the hardware and powder coating without them installed...would I risk the sealant coming apart.
        When they bake it for pc id imagine it would be above 350*F. I use GE Silicone II when I reassemble wheels, but dont know the advised temp range for it... For comparison heres a quote from Dow Cornwell on temp ratings of their silicone sealants: "many of our products can be used at temperatures ranging from -85° to 599°F". I suppose you could be in the useable temp window for the silicone when baking...but Id personally just reseal them. I have always had old seals leak on me, which is much more annoying when it's all put together and on the car :rofl:

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Working...
        X