X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is THE V8 Swap master??

Who are you? i need to bother you...
    sigpic

I think everyone does the swap with different goals and budgets, I don't think it's a good idea to try to get all of your info from a sole source.

Maybe you could ask your questions here, so the info can be discussed publicly and we can all gain from the discussion?
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I wish there was a like button for your comment Jgood :D

E30 3xxi - BRILLANT ROT

Comment

I think Carroll Shelby was good at swapping v8’s.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          I think everyone does the swap with different goals and budgets, I don't think it's a good idea to try to get all of your info from a sole source.

Maybe you could ask your questions here, so the info can be discussed publicly and we can all gain from the discussion?
          I do agree with you on this, I read through most threads but there is alot of inconsistency not to mention, as you said, the different routes everyone takes. Im pretty sure i know all that I need to start, Im just the type of person that wants that final clarification. Plus if i had started this thread with a bunch of questions everyone would have just posted links to threads that I most likely have read through. Hence why if i can bother one person for a "standardized" list of the most common applications I can use that along with what Ive learned
          sigpic

Comment

More commonly then not we usually dont post links to other threads, unless there is nothing new to say.

I also don't think there is any one master on here, we all agree and disagree on the way we approach things (subframe spacers vs notching the oil pan, where and what kind of brake booster, etc.).

Just post a thread, we are here to help.
            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
              More commonly then not we usually dont post links to other threads, unless there is nothing new to say.

I also don't think there is any one master on here, we all agree and disagree on the way we approach things (subframe spacers vs notching the oil pan, where and what kind of brake booster, etc.).

Just post a thread, we are here to help.

well in that case, heres a list on things you need to perform the swap. please correct me if im wrong/lmk of any good deals around these parts you may know of...

1. m60/62
              2. e34 5 speed trans (will any zf 5speed work btw)
              3. e34 brake booster and master cylinder
              4. motor mounts
              5. 2.93 diff (alot of speculation around this. is this best for the v8 with a 5speed?)
              6. 404 dme
              7. wiring harness from a manual v8 car

OK so let me know if all these are correct and if im missing anything

p.s. dont send me links to the rts auto thread, ive read it as well as the semi comprehensive thread. as i stated earlier im the type of person who wants that extra clarification. and the faster i get help the faster i find parts and the faster ill make the most detailed build thread of all time... thanks
              sigpic

Comment

Diff ratio is a preference thing, among other things. E34/E39 guys commonly upgrade to 3.15...and you can run 3.25 as well....

No , any ZF 5 speed won't work.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I am running 3.15 on my 340i.

and yes, I like to reduce as much risk as possible when doing a potentially expensive and relatively complicated swap, but isn't half the fun customizing the swap to your taste by being creative?

It's like math. There are 5 ways to solve the same math problem. I don't know about you, but I'm trying to be that guy that finds that 6th way.
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                  Instagram.com/garageaholic
                  Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

But there is no "problem" here, you pick the diff ratio to your particular application :)
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by r3vRob View Post
                      1. m60/62 Hmm... Optional.
                      2. e34 5 speed trans (will any zf 5speed work btw) You can use the e34 530i 5 speed, no other 5 speed fits, to my knowledge. Or you can use a 6 spd.
                      3. e34 brake booster and master cylinder If you want to, sure. Or you can go boosterless, or an aftermarket pedal setup, or whatever fits your needs.
                      4. motor mounts Only if you don't want the engine to sit on the oil pan
                      5. 2.93 diff (alot of speculation around this. is this best for the v8 with a 5speed?) There are gear ratio calculators out there that you can input tire size, diff size, ratios, and it will tell you the speed at any given RPM. From there you can figure out a ratio that will suit your needs.
                      6. 404 dme Yes
                      7. wiring harness from a manual v8 car Yes. Or auto, and trim the fat.
                      That's why I was hinting to not PM one person for a "list". There is no one specific way to do this swap. Bruce and Garey will have a much different list then I will. They are building very well prepped cars, I am doing a budget build. If you want to do this swap for $3k, getting a list of what thy used for the swap will put you severely over budget. If you want a track car, getting my list will probably leave you in the garage instead of on the track.

And FYI, that's about 1/10 of the required parts. You may want to refer to the comprehensive m60 swap thread ;)

Comment

A 2.93 puts you at a 157.5 mph top speed in 5th with a ZF 310, assuming a 6500 rpm redline and 225/50/15s on there.

That'll put you at about 3k at 70mph.

A 3.15 gives you a 146.5 mph top speed, and jumps your cruising rpm ~200.

Using a 420G Getrag with its 0.83 6th gives you 2600rpm at 70mph, and 176.5 mph top speed with a 3.15

Pretty fun to mess with.

1------2------3-----4-----5------6---- R
                        4.32 - 2.54 - 1.62 - 1.23 - 1.00 - 0.83 - 3.75

^ Getrag 6 speed ratios. The ZF 5 speed ratios should be identical, just without the 6th gear.

Comment

I like this one:

Andy's Auto Sport Learning Center Buyer's Guides F-Body Buyer's Guide

It creates a chart that gives MPH in 100 RPM increments in each gear, and allows you to make a change and outputs the data in the same frame, for easy comparison.

Comment

I found one that did both a chart and a graph too, but I can't find it :(

Comment

A lot of other forums have extremely organized and detailed stickied threads that simply tell you everything you need to know in one place. Like FrankM's M30 swap guide pdf - there isin't even anything as good as that guide for the 24v swaps.

Instead, R3v has huge 100 page threads with random info scattered throughout it which is rather useless for someone trying to figure out how to do a swap. And just reading build threads that usually leave a lot out will not get you the info you need.
                              That's the problem.

And you probably won't see someone make a thread here with all the info organized and summarized in one place, at least not for free. But it would be awesome if someone did.:)
                              Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Working...
                              X