Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know if its the s52 or s54 z3m radiator that fits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounded like regular Z3

for under $200 shipped, I think the Z3M is the way to go..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Trying to find dimensions for the s54 z3m radiator, found that the S52 ones have a 32mm core, and the Zionsville S54 rads have a 40mm core (1.57")

The X-Line Z3m rad has a 2.4" core.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        sounded like regular Z3

for under $200 shipped, I think the Z3M is the way to go..
        The issue is that BMW redesigned the radiator under the same part number, and supposedly now it is smaller then the original, the question is, if it is now to small to be able to cool an m60 / m62

Garey are you still getting the X-line now that you know its a 2 row?
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
          Is it much thicker then the OEM Z3 rad, or is it much thicker then the Z3M rad?
          I'm not sure. Under applications it lists all Z3s, engine code S52 is the only one listed. Looking at the e46 M3 rad, guess what the engine code is?

S52

For what it's worth, the e46 M3 rad has a 2" thick core, which makes the Z3 rad 50% thicker. I'd say it's safe to say it was intended as an S54 Z3m upgrade.

Comment

The issue is that BMW redesigned the radiator under the same part number, and supposedly now it is smaller then the original, the question is, if it is now to small to be able to cool an m60 / m62

Other people who've recently ordered it seem to think it's fine. they made it a tad bit shorter, but it's still 50% thicker, and costs half as much.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Corey@Track.One View Post
              I'm not sure. Under applications it lists all Z3s, engine code S52 is the only one listed. Looking at the e46 M3 rad, guess what the engine code is?

S52

For what it's worth, the e46 M3 rad has a 2" thick core, which makes the Z3 rad 50% thicker. I'd say it's safe to say it was intended as an S54 Z3m upgrade.
              I just thought about this.... 2.4" thick is 61mm that's HUGE. The PWR monster is only 57mm.

I am quite excited to see if it fits without modification.
              Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

Well, Garey will have it on friday. My intention was never to mislead anyone on the # of rows on that radiator, so I'll gladly give him a 100% refund and handle shipping costs if he wants to return it. Misinformation sucks.

I did find this, though.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Which states the S54 Z3m radiator has a 38mm core.

Comment

I have no intentions of backing out of it. Even if it is only a 2 row, it's a much thicker core, which of course, translates into more surface area to exchange the heat. It's also all aluminum, which will exchange more heat, including the tanks and it's a lifetime warranty, all welded. I won't know definitely, until the car is driveable, so we'll cross that bridge in a few months. I'll get pics up as soon as it arrives tomorrow...

Garey

Comment

I just thought about this.... 2.4" thick is 61mm that's HUGE. The PWR monster is only 57mm.

Pwr has billet end tanks and can take a front end impact and still go on. USA item is USA quality. Fits good also in a e30.

Oem z3m rad is probably the best bang for the buck. Also lighter than one with billet end tanks.

Plastic end tanks are lightweight.

Mish-motor rad isnt bad but the finish on internals is not up to Oem or PWR type finish.
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                      Pwr has billet end tanks and can take a front end impact and still go on. USA item is USA quality. Fits good also in a e30.

Oem z3m rad is probably the best bang for the buck. Also lighter than one with billet end tanks.

Plastic end tanks are lightweight.

Mish-motor rad isnt bad but the finish on internals is not up to Oem or PWR type finish.
                      Well to be fair mishimoto will replace your radiator:
                      "Accident Protection

Mishimoto, under its no questions asked warranty policy, will provide a warranty for all claims including vehicles involved in accidents. Warranty claims must include pictures of the accident and an official police report, and must be within three months of the accident. "

But I get what your saying, you pay for what you get.

Do we know anyone running the smaller updated z3m OEM radiator in an m60/m62 without overheating problems?

Comment

My rad. is 65mm thick and fits with the V8 (position ~2) very well.

That Mishimoto rad. with 2 fans looks very good, though I suppose the other fan won't fit as there's a "bulge" in upper LHS corner of the "rad. opening"..
                        - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                        - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                        - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                        - E46 318i Touring -
                        - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
                          My rad. is 65mm thick and fits with the V8 (position ~2) very well.

That Mishimoto rad. with 2 fans looks very good, though I suppose the other fan won't fit as there's a "bulge" in upper LHS corner of the "rad. opening"..
                          Jonsku, I assume you're using a front mounted pusher electric fan and no engine driven fan as you said the engine is too close the radiator. Can you confirm this? Do you have the fan set up on a thermal control or the original variable speed control? Any pics?

Garey

Comment

Well to be fair mishimoto will replace your radiator:
                            "Accident Protection

Mishimoto, under its no questions asked warranty policy, will provide a warranty for all claims including vehicles involved in accidents. Warranty claims must include pictures of the accident and an official police report, and must be within three months of the accident. "

But I get what your saying, you pay for what you get.

Do we know anyone running the smaller updated z3m OEM radiator in an m60/m62 without overheating problems?
                            I do yes know someone yes. mishimoto e36m rad+4.4L m62. works ok with oem style engine driven fan+aux fan. if a proper CFM electric fan is installed then it will be perfect. M62 is also very hardy when it come to heat.
                            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Thanks for the info wanganstyle!

Do you know anyone running a stock OEM Z3M radiator, the version you can order now that is smaller then the original OEM z3m rad (17112227281) in a m60/2 swap?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                                Jonsku, I assume you're using a front mounted pusher electric fan and no engine driven fan as you said the engine is too close the radiator. Can you confirm this? Do you have the fan set up on a thermal control or the original variable speed control? Any pics?

Garey

Yea, there's no space for fan between engine and rad. Last summer I had 14" pusher fan with temp. sensor in rad + additional "must run" switch in the cabin.
                                For next summer I plan on putting SPAL 14" high-performance fan with SPAL control unit so I'll have variable speed and can set the temp-limits myself. I'm swapping the SPAL-things to the car because I found the "fixed temp" sensor is more or less never right (it starts or stops too early / too late), so now when I can adjust the temps and revs without limits I should get the result I want.

Long explanation, hope you understand what I mean :)

I'm on a business trip at the moment so can't upload good pictures to my site. Anyway, as attachment there are couple of pictures from the project-phase. As you can see, there's not too much space between the engine and rad. I remember someone in Germany using "engine-driven fan", though I guess it was from some other model as it has to be very slim. Also, I think you could fit some kind of "super slim pulling fan" between the engine and rad., but where's the sense in that when you can fit full-size pusher fan to the front-side.
                                Attached Files
                                - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                                - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                                - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                                - E46 318i Touring -
                                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Working...
                                X